Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Cards for sub 500 score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Secured Cards for sub 500 score

My friend has a really poor score of 460 and would like to start rebuilding.

Any secured cards that would approve him? (Aside from CapOne because he burned them 5 years ago)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Secured Cards for sub 500 score

I believe that Open Sky could be an option. The annual fee is $35.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover possibly ... might be a stretch though. 

OpenSky would probably be best 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a question he burned CapOne maybe 5 years ago but app'd for their secured card maybe a month ago and it said he was approved.

Do you think that if he sent in the security deposit for the secured card that they would instead apply that towards his old balance which they sent to a CA?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is my understanding that since the account was charged off, his security deposit will go towards the new account.  Capital One is not allowed to take payments on Charged off accounts.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a question he burned CapOne maybe 5 years ago but app'd for their secured card maybe a month ago and it said he was approved.

Do you think that if he sent in the security deposit for the secured card that they would instead apply that towards his old balance which they sent to a CA?

No, Cap one has long since divested themselves of that old account. If its reporting as a charge off with a balance he may need to pay it off before he can get any unsecured credit cards.

Look into joining SDFCU and get secured loan and secured card with one deposit, in addition to the Open Sky card.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.