Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Cards??

tag
apriestl
Established Member

Secured Cards??

I was wondering if anyone out there had opinons on secured cards.  I recently had a drop in score (40pts) when I consolidated my student loans .  I got hit with a judgment last year(I'm working on this but likely can't get it off my report)  it did HUGE damage to my credit. I lost nearly 100 pts for that baddie!

I'm super nervous about approaching creditors for CLIs because I had a Walmart card (never late) and during normal account review they DROPPED by CL from $500 to $170 for no reason other than my credit score had dropped.  Now I'm nervous other creditors will follow suit if I try to get a secured card or my account comes up for review to see if I'm eligible for other offers.  I carry only a very small balance on every card or pay in full each month.

I currently have a Cap1 300 unsecured Orchard (now Cap1) 300 unsecured and the Walmart that dropped to 170 store card for revolving debt all opened in 2011.  I have a car installment loan for 10K that I refinanced in Feb this year and a Fed Consolidation Student Loan that just wrapped up.

For baddies, I have one medical collection I am working to pay off, and the judgment I spoke of for 2,000 (also working on it).  I had a 30 day late on one cc in January this year ( set up auto pay and it didn't work so it was overlooked)  the company wouldn't delete on GW either. 

I don't want an inquiry to lose even more points or worse get denied for a secured card.  Has anyone used Open Sky?  I live in WI so many bad credit secured cards aren't available in my state Smiley Sad  Only ones are BofA, Wells, Cap1, Open Sky, and US Bank.  I'm not bothering with the banks because I hear many people get turned down.

Thoughts?

EQ 544 6/20/13, TU 588 6/20/13, EX?
EQ 619 9/24/13, TU 635 9/24/13 EX?
Goal: 700 across
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.