Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Secured Credit Cards

My credit was pretty bad. I wasn't always as responsible as I am now. My score is 542. It was 498 a few months ago. Currently I have $5200 in debt. 6 different collections and 1 secured credit card. The cc has been paid on time Everytime. I am trying to build my credit to buy a house and car. I have a small business that in trying to further also.
I have one secured credit card, I applied for another one. Should I open the 2md card? Will it help.my credit?
What else can I do to get rid of the collections other than paying full price. What can I do to build my credit. Any help or tips would be great.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Secured Credit Cards

Hi Njacobs -In short, yes do the second card.

Long Answer:

If you can break down a more complete picture of what your credit reports look like, i.e. Each collection acct, how much, etc, your other tradelines (Credit cards, student loans, installment loans, their balance & limit etc) that will help us guide you better on your rebuild

From initial reading, sounds like your focus may need to be on clearing up those collections.

With regards to opening the 2nd card, it all depends on if you can afford it. If making the deposit on another secured card puts you into a situation where you cant pay your existing card or other items, then i'd stay away until you're comfortable. I was around low 500s and recently obtained my first credit cards in years and saw nice point increases with each card that I added (1 secured, 1 was unsecured NFCU). My plan is to get three major secured cards (capital one, discover, bofa) and then garden those until next year and once they unsecure, I am in with 3 decent banks, then year after that I will be in position for harder to obtain cards like Chase & Amex.

I have been focused on getting negatives removed, and that will work wonders on your scores.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.