Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Loan + Loans = pointless?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Secured Loan + Loans = pointless?

Hey quick question

Is having a secured loan through self lender (Which I'm half way through now) pointless in helping my score or creditworthiness if I have student loans (Which are all current) that equal around $65K?

The secured loan was for $1100 and I'm half way through it so I have $550 left to pay. But is it even helping me at this point? Aren't they all installment loans?

Kind of want to just stop the secured loan and get the money back now and put it into a secured card or increase my CL on another card.

Thanks
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Secured Loan + Loans = pointless?

wrote:
Hey quick question

Is having a secured loan through self lender (Which I'm half way through now) pointless in helping my score or creditworthiness if I have student loans (Which are all current) that equal around $65K?

The secured loan was for $1100 and I'm half way through it so I have $550 left to pay. But is it even helping me at this point? Aren't they all installment loans?

Kind of want to just stop the secured loan and get the money back now and put it into a secured card or increase my CL on another card.

Thanks

Are the Selflender accounts reporting to the CRAs?

If so, I would finish paying it off and use the money to open a secured CC

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it reports every month. Just not sure if it's actually helping
Message 3 of 5
capricornchanges
Regular Contributor

What do your scores say? Have they gone up since SL?

1st goal: 700 across the board
Starting Scores 01/19/2018
Equifax : 579
Transunion: 585
Experian: 602

Current 07/06/2018
Equifax:662
Transunion: 645
Experian: 683

Message 4 of 5
jgdev
Regular Contributor

I would say it really depends. As others have said have you noticed a score change? I also got a Self Lender account back in October. I also have 2 Auto loans that are reporting as well. That said the Self Lender saw my points jump up a good 20-25 points each as I had a low number of positive accounts.

So even with 2 other installment loans that were reporting in good standing I saw a decent bump from SL

06/01/2022

12/07/17
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.