Did you mean: 

Secured Loan

tag
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Re: Secured Loan

@cam2103 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not a fan of getting credit in the hopes that it will improve credit scores.  I am a fan, however, of getting credit that is needed (the ability of float purchases for 30 days, needing a K loan for home repairs) and that will, in addition to the need, help credit.

Secured Credit Cards are one thing.  Secured loans are something entirely different and something that I would never do nor recommend.

My advice would be stay with your two secured CCs.  Maybe try for a 3rd cc -- an UNsecured CC, perhaps?

Hey CC,

Could you elaborate on the above? Is'nt a secured credit card a secured loan?

No, it isn't.

Secured CCs are revolving accounts, and Secured Loans are installments.

Secured CCs can offer rewards.  Secured loans, at best, offer offer componding interest.

Secrured CCs can have a CL that you can max out on every month (not advisable tho) and can be Increased in CL, whereas Secured loans are a set amount of borrowed dollars.

Message 11 of 18
cam2103
Valued Member

@ccnewcc wrote:

@cam2103 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not a fan of getting credit in the hopes that it will improve credit scores.  I am a fan, however, of getting credit that is needed (the ability of float purchases for 30 days, needing a K loan for home repairs) and that will, in addition to the need, help credit.

Secured Credit Cards are one thing.  Secured loans are something entirely different and something that I would never do nor recommend.

My advice would be stay with your two secured CCs.  Maybe try for a 3rd cc -- an UNsecured CC, perhaps?

Hey CC,

Could you elaborate on the above? Isn't a secured credit card a secured loan?

No, it isn't.

Secured CCs are revolving accounts, and Secured Loans are installments.

Secured CCs can offer rewards.  Secured loans, at best, offer offer compounding interest.

Secured CCs can have a CL that you can max out on every month (not advisable tho) and can be Increased in CL, whereas Secured loans are a set amount of borrowed dollars.

Thanks for the clarification. So, in your opnion I would be better served by increasing the credit limit on my secured card with the cash I was going to use for the secured loan?

Message 12 of 18
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Possibly....or maybe a 70/30 split. Increasing your secured card credit limit would increase your available credit and decrease your utilization. The installment account (secured loan) will add a necessary account to your credit portfolio while you're in the growth stages.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I personally like secured loans... I had one from chase bank in 2007 and I feel that it really helped. For one thing I saved 1k over the course of a year. On the other hand I improved my credit mix. Keep in mind that once the loan is funded you get your deposit back immediately as the loan funds and then you get the full asset back when the loan is paid. Also it only cost me $17 for 12 months of installment history. Secured cards and subprime cards have higher fees than that

I would definately do a 1k loan and then when the loan funds; use the funds to increase deposit on the secured card... then start paying off the loan and 12 months later you have a 1k CD
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 14 of 18
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@cam2103 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. So, in your opnion I would be better served by increasing the credit limit on my secured card with the cash I was going to use for the secured loan?

I think that is a better option than getting a secured loan.

And perhaps looking into an unsecured CC.

I would like to add tho, rebuilding can take time.  Some ppl rush into getting CCs and loans and what not thinking it will help only to find out later down the road that only modest increases to the credit score happened.

Always research the options that are out there, get credit that is needed--not wanted, and have patience.

Message 15 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5718656_do-certificate-secured-loans-work_.html Here is a good explanation
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 16 of 18
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I personally like secured loans... I had one from chase bank in 2007 and I feel that it really helped. For one thing I saved 1k over the course of a year. On the other hand I improved my credit mix. Keep in mind that once the loan is funded you get your deposit back immediately as the loan funds and then you get the full asset back when the loan is paid. Also it only cost me $17 for 12 months of installment history. Secured cards and subprime cards have higher fees than that

I would definately do a 1k loan and then when the loan funds; use the funds to increase deposit on the secured card... then start paying off the loan and 12 months later you have a 1k CD

+1

Savings, credit history, and credit mix

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 17 of 18
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Aren't CD backed loans a lowe where they don't give you a penny, but rather open up a cd in your name and then you pay for it in monthly installments. When the term is up the bank keeps the interest and you can cash out the CD (or roll it over if you want to make money off of it). 

If this is the type of loan your looking at, I see no issue with it as really all it is, is a glorified savings account that gets no interest but rather helps build credit. It costs nothing (a cap 1 credit card will cost at least 20$ in an AF if not closer to 40).

the banks like them because they are getting loaned free money that they don't need to pay interest on, butt rather can invest it to gain some.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.