Regular Contributor
FLAJenn

Secured Loan?

What are everyone's thoughts of doing a secured loan via a bank with something as collateral (car, boat, etc)? I've seen posts about them and was thinking about doing something like that to add as a TL to help raise scores  so it shows as an installment loan.

Valued Contributor
annielorie

Re: Secured Loan?

Try for a secured loan via a bank or cu. Usually a small amount they put the money in a CD and you make monthly payments also u need to have at least 2 cc reporting for best outcome with scores

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Established Contributor
ccnewcc

Re: Secured Loan?

FLAJenn wrote:

What are everyone's thoughts of doing a secured loan via a bank with something as collateral (car, boat, etc)? I've seen posts about them and was thinking about doing something like that to add as a TL to help raise scores  so it shows as an installment loan.

This might be what they refer to as a Title Loan.  Unlike a finance loan which is automatically secured with the object you are fianancing the purchase of.  A secured loan seems to usually be secured with upfront money you give the bank and they put it in a CD and you get back your deposit once the loan is PIF.

Maybe a personal loan is better fit?  Personal loan is they just give you money and you don't put up collateral or a deposit.  Tho, i'd be willing to bet you'd get better rates with a title loan.

Anyways, I would actually not recommend getting any sort of loan.  I am not a fan of getting credit to get credit or in the hopes that a new or different kind of TL will have some effect on your CRs.

Now, if you actually need the money like for medical bills or house repairs, then I am a fan of trying to get approved for some type of a loan -- which just so happens it may also help your credit.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+