Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Loan?

tag
FLAJenn
Regular Contributor

Secured Loan?

What are everyone's thoughts of doing a secured loan via a bank with something as collateral (car, boat, etc)? I've seen posts about them and was thinking about doing something like that to add as a TL to help raise scores  so it shows as an installment loan.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: Secured Loan?

Try for a secured loan via a bank or cu. Usually a small amount they put the money in a CD and you make monthly payments also u need to have at least 2 cc reporting for best outcome with scores

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 3
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Re: Secured Loan?

@FLAJenn wrote:

What are everyone's thoughts of doing a secured loan via a bank with something as collateral (car, boat, etc)? I've seen posts about them and was thinking about doing something like that to add as a TL to help raise scores  so it shows as an installment loan.

This might be what they refer to as a Title Loan.  Unlike a finance loan which is automatically secured with the object you are fianancing the purchase of.  A secured loan seems to usually be secured with upfront money you give the bank and they put it in a CD and you get back your deposit once the loan is PIF.

Maybe a personal loan is better fit?  Personal loan is they just give you money and you don't put up collateral or a deposit.  Tho, i'd be willing to bet you'd get better rates with a title loan.

Anyways, I would actually not recommend getting any sort of loan.  I am not a fan of getting credit to get credit or in the hopes that a new or different kind of TL will have some effect on your CRs.

Now, if you actually need the money like for medical bills or house repairs, then I am a fan of trying to get approved for some type of a loan -- which just so happens it may also help your credit.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.