Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured card before auto loan app

tag
Annjilique
New Contributor

Secured card before auto loan app

I have no positive trade lines 7 collections 2 charge offs (one paid). should I apply for a secured credit card before I app for a car loan? Will it help or hurt? 6 of the collection accounts are being disputed. I want to apply for a car loan ASAP 

Starting score: 346 ?? eq (lender pull)
Current score: 598 eq
Goal score: 650
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: Secured card before auto loan app

A secured card would help if you have 6 months to garden it. If you don't, the new inquiry and account will hurt your score, which in turn, hurts the approval odds of getting a auto loan.

If you can wait 6 months for the car after obtaining the secured card, that would be best. If your score is at least 620-650, getting a car now won't hurt as much.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 2 of 3
Annjilique
New Contributor

Re: Secured card before auto loan app

That was what I thought. I don't have that long to wait. Smiley Sad I'm hoping the cra will play in my favor with these medical collections. Hopefully if they get deleted I get a nice increase.

Starting score: 346 ?? eq (lender pull)
Current score: 598 eq
Goal score: 650
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.