Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured loans and Secured Credit Cards--From a Credit Union

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Secured loans and Secured Credit Cards--From a Credit Union

Hello all,

This thread is specifically regarding the shared services offered through some credit union

I'm a newbie in this overwhelming world of credit rebuiding.  I have done serveral searches and the more I read, the more I confuse myself.  Can someone please clarify for me like i'm a 5 year old the questions I have regarding the two account types from a credit union, not from a bank.  My specific questions are these:

1.  Secured loans- what happens to the original deposit at the end of the loan term after you satisfy your requirement?  I keep reading about the more you pay down it unlocks your deposit.  So if i put up 500 (its now locked) and they give me 500.  I make all my payments, what happens to my original locked 500? Does that mean I get my money back?

2. Secure credit cards-

How long does it typically take for it to unlock and become unsecured?

Once it becomes unsecured, will they automatically increase the credit limit?  If so typically by how much?  

Again what happens to your original deposit once it becomes unsecured because credit cards are revolving debt

Also, if anyone has any real world experience with these please list the credit union and share.

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Secured loans and Secured Credit Cards--From a Credit Union

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

This thread is specifically regarding the shared services offered through some credit union

I'm a newbie in this overwhelming world of credit rebuiding.  I have done serveral searches and the more I read, the more I confuse myself.  Can someone please clarify for me like i'm a 5 year old the questions I have regarding the two account types from a credit union, not from a bank.  My specific questions are these:

1.  Secured loans- what happens to the original deposit at the end of the loan term after you satisfy your requirement?  I keep reading about the more you pay down it unlocks your deposit.  So if i put up 500 (its now locked) and they give me 500.  I make all my payments, what happens to my original locked 500? Does that mean I get my money back? Your money is put into a regular savings account but the entire amount is not available for withdrawal. Each payment "releases" a portion of your deposit, increasing the amount available. If desired you can make payments from the available amount...

2. Secure credit cards-

How long does it typically take for it to unlock and become unsecured? Varies. Some cards do not become unsecured.

Once it becomes unsecured, will they automatically increase the credit limit?  If so typically by how much?  Varies.

Again what happens to your original deposit once it becomes unsecured because credit cards are revolving debt The funds simply become available for withdrawal just like the secured loan above.

Also, if anyone has any real world experience with these please list the credit union and share.

Thanks

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

1.  Secured loans- what happens to the original deposit at the end of the loan term after you satisfy your requirement?  I keep reading about the more you pay down it unlocks your deposit.  So if i put up 500 (its now locked) and they give me 500.  I make all my payments, what happens to my original locked 500? Does that mean I get my money back? Your money is put into a regular savings account but the entire amount is not available for withdrawal. Each payment "releases" a portion of your deposit, increasing the amount available. If desired you can make payments from the available amount...

Hi Norman, thanks for responding.  So essentially I do get the orginal back, just not all once but in increments correct?

Love the red by the way...it helps a 5th grader like me process better lol

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep.

Basically, your $500 savings account is a prepaid guarantee to the credit union that you will pay your $500 loan - the funds for that loan are already there and you can't touch them.

Once you make a payment on the loan of, say, $100 - they will "release" $95 of your savings account.  Because, of course, your loan balance is now lower, less the interest they earned in that month on the loan itself (the $5 discrepancy).  This is of course an example in simplified numbers; actual figures will vary based on interest rates and the policy of the actual credit union in question, as some handle payments and "release" a little differently.

In the end, yes, your entire $500 savings account will be "released" and you will be able to remove those funds at will depending on the withdrawal rules for the credit union you are using (since some limit withdrawal frequency or amount on savings accounts).  You will also earn interest, if applicable to your account, on funds that have been "released" as long as they remain on deposit (you don't take them out).

Secured credit cards work much the same way - the difference is, the original (savings account) deposit is not released in increments.  If you pay off the account and close it (as in, your score improves in the future and you open unsecured credit cards, and no longer want/need the secured one) you will receive the security back in one lump sum.  If your card is "graduated" - that is, the account becomes unsecured - then the security deposit will be refunded at that point and the card will remain open like a "regular" credit card.  The security in this case is only there to guarantee the bank that they can get paid if you fail to make your payments.  Many lenders who offer these programs will not give credit limit increases on secured cards, but many will allow you to deposit additional funds to increase your credit limit if you need to.  There is no set timeline on "graduation," and some lenders' cards will never graduate and become unsecured, so be sure you are using one that will if that is your ultimate goal.  The lenders who do not "graduate" your cards will still return your entire security if you pay off and close the account.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

1.  Secured loans- what happens to the original deposit at the end of the loan term after you satisfy your requirement?  I keep reading about the more you pay down it unlocks your deposit.  So if i put up 500 (its now locked) and they give me 500.  I make all my payments, what happens to my original locked 500? Does that mean I get my money back?

2. Secure credit cards-

How long does it typically take for it to unlock and become unsecured?

Once it becomes unsecured, will they automatically increase the credit limit?  If so typically by how much?  

Again what happens to your original deposit once it becomes unsecured because credit cards are revolving debt

Thanks

Here is a thread which explains in great detail the where and how of doing a secured savings loan through a credit union and many lenders offer secured credit cards Bank of America, Discover, Capital One and Citibank just to mention a few. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secure-technique/m-p/4635760#M110676
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Norman, thanks for responding.  So essentially I do get the orginal back, just not all once but in increments correct?

Love the red by the way...it helps a 5th grader like me process better lol

Yes, that is correct, for the most part. There are some lenders that put your funds into a CD account rather than a regular savings account, which essentially locks up the entire amount for the term of the CD - but those are the exception rather than the rule.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eureka! I think I finally got it!! Thanks for all of the explanations and examples.  

I think i'm ready for 6th grade Smiley Happy 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Eureka! I think I finally got it!! Thanks for all of the explanations and examples.  

I think i'm ready for 6th grade Smiley Happy 

LOL - That what my oldest granddaughter told us after she graduated kindegarten.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.