cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Clearance

tag
kitm

Security Clearance

My husband is applying for a job that will require a secret/top secret security clearance, but currently has 2 accounts in collections (totalling around $1300) and a few accounts showing delinquencies from 2008-2009.

Does anyone know if this will be a problem? Or have any advice on what to do to fix it quickly?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Botz1213
Valued Member

Re: Security Clearance

I had mine before my credit problems but I have had to have it renewed and upgraded in the past year. They did ask a few questions but it was approved. Did he already have one? If not that might be the deal breaker. I was in the military where I got mine, when I got out I got a job at a defense contractor where I needed a higher clearance.

Message 2 of 15
kitm

I believe he still has an active secret clearance from the military but it sounds like the new job is looking to renew or upgrade it. Will any of these things be a deal breaker?

Message 3 of 15
Cageym
Established Contributor

I currently have one where I work and just went through review. Don't lie or try to hide it, they will find out. Show that he is making an effort to take care of it. In most cases as long as he tells the truth he should be good to go. They will run a credit report, and have hime sign a doc giving them perms to see his tax returns from the IRS.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 4 of 15
kitm

Hmm... Is it a problem that we have not made any effort to take care of the two in collections? Would it be too late if we start now? Also what are they looking for in the tax returns?
Message 5 of 15
Botz1213
Valued Member

I really dont know. Mine they spent a few minutes discussing it with me and that was all I really heard about it. 

I know someone who did get denied for credit reasons from a TS / SCI clearance. I dont know the in depth details about it though. 

Message 6 of 15
Cageym
Established Contributor

I don't think it would be to late, it shows you're trying to take care of it and aren't hiding anything. As far as the tax return goes I think all they are looking for is that you paid and don't owe them money.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Message 7 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I was the director of a national security organization within the federal government where all my employees were requried to have a security clearance, and was directly involved in the clearance process hundreds of times.  I muself held a top secret clearance.

First and formost, I strongly echo the advice to always be complete and honest, as any attempt to conceal will almost always be a show-stopper.

Wanting to hide something makes you susceptible.

I have had employees with more serious background issues approved up to the secret level, with a lot of explanation, but background investigations at the TS level are tough.  Clearances in my area did not relate to access to financial information.

Security clearances are approved based on both the background of the applicant and the information to which access is being granted.  They are dependent upon job requirements.  If the job involves feduciary responsibility, prior credit history could weigh heavily.. If not, it might not be significant.. 

I suggest speaking with the security officer at the agency for which the clearance is being requested, and see what types of criteria they specify.

Ii is possible that an unpaid debt could be one of those.

Message 8 of 15
Cageym
Established Contributor

@RobertEG - +1 on almost everything but I was told by the investigator that did my last one that they pull credit reports. And we don't deal with money here.

Message 9 of 15
chasmith
Valued Contributor

I went through Secret and then Top Secret SSBI with prior financial problems showing.  In each case I had to explain how I got in trouble, what I did about it, and was cleared.

Years later after I had stopped doing cleared work and my clearances had lapsed I filed Chapter 7 BK.  My attorney told me he has represented folks with clearances and never had one pulled for BK.  Filing BK is a responsible and legal step.  We didn't discuss applicants for clearance.

I agree with other posters, being visibly candid and honest is the most important thing.  Making arrangements to pay the $1300 in collections might help as well.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.