Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Advice on This Goodwill Letter

tag
ACAT
Established Member

Seeking Advice on This Goodwill Letter

Hello all! I am in the process of trying to repair my credit and have a bad, late yet closed discover card account on my credit reports.  It is completely paid off and I want to send them a GW in hopes that they will remove it from my CR.  Can you guys tell me what ya think?  Thanks in advance!!

Discover Financial Services

P.O. Box 30943

Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0943

April 1st, 2013

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing this letter in regards to my now closed Discover Card account.  I applied for and was granted a new Discover Card back around March of 2011.  I was very excited to become a cardholder as I was 21 years old and in college and I was eager to begin building a good credit history.  At that point in my life I had no negative accounts of any kind on any of my credit reports.

I used my Discover Card for several months with no issues at all with payments.  I usually paid the card off in full each month because as previously stated the purpose of having the card was to build a good credit history.  It wasn’t until February of 2012 when problems with the account arose.

In February 2012 I started suffering very severely from a chronic medical condition.  This resulted in my having to take leave of absence from both school and work.  I was admitted as an inpatient to Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis on three different occurrences during this time period to be treated for my illness.  Each stay in the hospital lasted over one week.  Unfortunately due to the severity of my condition I ended up having to withdraw from the university I was attending at the time.  Through all of this I was put under financial strain which is what ultimately led to my Discover Card being used over the limit and was also the cause of late payments.

As of today the account in paid and closed.  I am writing this letter today to plead to your company to make a goodwill adjustment to my credit report so that I may not continue to suffer the credit repercussions of my misuse of the credit card due my illness back in early 2012.  It is terribly unfortunate when I was only trying to build credit, I ended up badly damaging it. 

If there is any way that someone could delete the account from my credit report I would be forever grateful.  Despite suffering medical illness last year, I take responsibility for misuse of the card so if what I am requesting is not possible I do understand.  I am including medical documentation of my hospitalizations last year in hopes to aid your consideration.

All I want to have good credit so that when the time comes that I need a new vehicle or home, I might have the ability to obtain these things. Please consider my situation and please know that I would be extremely grateful for any help you might offer.  I am very grateful to Discover for giving me the chance to be a customer and I certainly hope to be one again someday.  Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and please contact me using the information above if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
deadbishop
Regular Contributor

Re: Seeking Advice on This Goodwill Letter

I think your letter is good. Jmho of course.
Bankrupcy 7 Filed 2/20/2012
Discharged 6/18/2012
FICO as of 7/6/2012
TU 630 Classic (04)
EQ 641 FACTA Beacon 5.0
EX 607 Fair Isaac (ver. 2)

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.