Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking feedback on my credit repair plan

tag
seetheworld1

Seeking feedback on my credit repair plan

Hi, guys,

I am new to credit awareness and this board but I’ve found your comments tremendously educational and I’m ready to tackle my credit problems. Here’s my situation: I checked my credit report and scores for the first time two weeks ago and this is what I found:

Scores: 593; 632; 649.

Collections: Several medical bills from 2008 (six for around $200 each). I disputed them online and they were actually deleted! Whoa. It works. There is another collection for $1500 that wasn’t deleted and was updated last month. It’s from the same CA as the other smaller ones that were, so I’m not sure of my next step. I don’t want to do anything to cause them to re-add those other ones. Should I HIPAA the CRAs first or the CA?

Derogatory/Public Records: 1 IRS tax lien, satisfied in 2011. They now have a program where they will remove liens from public records and I applied for that last week. Fingers crossed. There’s also a default civil judgment from 2010 which I’ve also paid. Should I try a GW letter to the OC or their attorney? Or GW letter to the CRAs? I actually don’t remember being served this lawsuit (hence the default judgment) but I’m going to go the courthouse and check the record of how they served. Maybe they served a past address and maybe that would be grounds to have  it vacated. It’s a long shot, I know.

That’s it for negatives. As for positives, I have one car loan that I got 2 ½ years ago. The interest rate is 17 percent but I wasn’t going to get a better offer and I needed a car as my old one had died. I wouldn’t be able to refinance because I owe less than $7,000 on the loan.

I hadn’t credit card in 10 years. I got used to paying in cash and thought that was good but I realize that I cannot opt-out of the credit-based society because it’s counting against me in so many ways.  So I applied for a Capital One secured card two weeks ago and have a $350 limit. I had applied for a Barclays credit card but was declined. I am going to use the Capital One responsibly for four months and then try again for another credit card. Is it realistic of me to expect to get a real CC so soon with the judgment and single medical collection on my CR? I expect the lien will be removed.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I’ve learned so much reading your forums. Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Seeking feedback on my credit repair plan

Is the $1500 legit? If so, send a PFD. The HIPAA process involves paying off the OC and completely ignoring the CA (due to medical privacy).

GWs only go to whomever is reporting, and never to the CRAs. Some have asked the plaintiff's attorney to ask the court to vacate and that has worked for many.

Clear the baddies first, then try for an unsecured. Repair then rebuild.

Message 2 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@llecs wrote:

Is the $1500 legit? If so, send a PFD. The HIPAA process involves paying off the OC and completely ignoring the CA (due to medical privacy).

GWs only go to whomever is reporting, and never to the CRAs. Some have asked the plaintiff's attorney to ask the court to vacate and that has worked for many.

Clear the baddies first, then try for an unsecured. Repair then rebuild.

If you can repair quickly I agree with that; however, if it's going to take several months (which it might), I'd suggest grabbing a secured card or two in the meantime to pickup some positive history if you can swing the $99-$300 minimum deposit; that way when you do finish getting the negatives taken care of you're not starting from scratch on recent history.  Given that most of the FICO algorithm is time dependent, it behooves folks when rebuilding to work both building the positive and removing the negative at the same time.  Leaving FICO-time on the ground otherwise in my opinion.

        
Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, OP is all set with the one CapOne CC he/she has already. Definitely a 2nd would help but I'd suggest letting it age and use that time to repair.

Message 4 of 5
seetheworld1

Thanks for your reply! I will let the C1 secured wcard ork for 4 to 6 months and then try again for a regular card. Regarding the medical collection: the amount seems kind of high but I'm guessing it's too late to contact the hospital to find out why since it's in the CA's hands now? Should I sent the CA a PFD offer for a portion of the amount or should I ask them for an explanation of the costs? Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.