cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending 14 letters certified for inquiry (PP) deletion, CRR or can I just Certify?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sending 14 letters certified for inquiry (PP) deletion, CRR or can I just Certify?

I found all the inquiries from 2011 and 2012. I have had a lot of ID theft issues and someone made a bunch of inquiries. I am trying to get this straightened out. My goal is to get my score above 640 so I can refinance my car from a 26% interest rate and obtain a FHA home loan.

I have about 20 inquiries from 2011 with 14 letters because some are multiple inquiries. It will be about $50 to send them all just certified. It would be about $80 to send them all with return reciepts. I believe these 20 inquiries are bringing my score down even if its just 5-20 points that gain would be an improvement while I work on getting my card balances down to 0, and GW letters for 2 lates that happened a couple years ago on closed and paid as agreed accounts. The other 11 from 2010 I will let fall off since they don't impact the score as much.

My Score right now is 600 experian, 599 Equifax, and Transunion 534. Transunion has not obliged or budged to delete 2 negative accounts resulting from ID theft even with a police report and ID theft affidavit sent to them and the creditors. Experian and Equifax deleted the 2 negative accounts.

Thanks I am new to the forums here but I have been reading lots of your posts and they have always helped me. I just need to know which way to approach this. Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Sending 14 letters certified for inquiry (PP) deletion, CRR or can I just Certify?

If transactions or reporting is done related to debt or accounts not authorized by you, you can assert possible identity theft as the likely culprit.

The FCRA has many provisions for dealing with identity theft related debt and reporting.

The first step to invoke those provisions is to put your assertions into the form a a police report.  The FCRA calls this an "identity theft report."

Unless willing to put your assertions in sworn form, they remain just assertions.

File a police report, then come back to the forum for a list of steps that can be taken using that statement.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sending 14 letters certified for inquiry (PP) deletion, CRR or can I just Certify?

I already did a police report and ID theft affidavit. In fact I filed two police reports one in 2008 and one a few months ago. Experian and Equifax removed the accounts that were a result of ID theft but Transunion did not. None of the CRA's removed any of the inquiries as a result of the ID theft. That is why I was going to send 14 certified letters to the creditors who were located in the inquiry section for the past year. I needed to know if I should send 14 letters CRR because CRR is very expensive and double the cost of just certified. I would be paying nearly double or about $80 bucks to do this.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I am not quite sure what your letters are requesting, but be aware that if you accompany you letter with a copy of the police report along with proof of your idenitity in the form of a copy of a government issued ID, you can invoke the disclosure requirements of FCRA 609(e), compelling them to provide you all business records substantiating their alleged permissible purpose, such as copies of application papers used by the party who used your idenity in establishing a business relationship with them.

With no specific period running against them in which to respond, I see no need to send CMRRR.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.