Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending Good Will Letters

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sending Good Will Letters

If I send Good Will letters will they result in a dispute? I contacted a customer service rep at myfico and they recommended that I dont open up disputes if I'm going for a mortgage soon because the disputes can inadvertenly lower my scores? I have alot of lates with Chase and Capital One due to my spouse cancelling debt consolidation and just irresponsibility on my part.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Shokk
Established Contributor

Re: Sending Good Will Letters

I've never had a dispute lower my scores.  But yes, I've seen the dispute remark show up on accounts after sending good will letters.  No clue why they do that.  I try and make it very clear in my GW letters that I'm not disputing anything, but it doesn't always work,

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 2 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Rickdoc1 wrote:

If I send Good Will letters will they result in a dispute? I contacted a customer service rep at myfico and they recommended that I dont open up disputes if I'm going for a mortgage soon because the disputes can inadvertenly lower my scores? I have alot of lates with Chase and Capital One due to my spouse cancelling debt consolidation and just irresponsibility on my part.

Prior to authorizing your mortgage pull you want to pull all 3 yourself and make sure any dispute comments have been deleted it can be done by phone, you will need an actual report number to call them so get the pulls directly from the CRAs themselves.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One seems to be notorious for confusing GW request with disputes.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rickdoc1 wrote:

Disputes don't lower your scores, they tend to artificially inflate your scores since disputed items are not included in scoring. Thats why most underwriting requires no disputed items on your reports.

Message 5 of 8
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Rickdoc1 wrote:

There is a risk that a lender may interpret GW letters as a "dispute," which is why many people note in their letters that they are not seeking to initiate a dispute.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your support. I will continue with this journey step by step.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All,

I just sent Good Will letters to creditors to remove latenesses on accounts that have been closed. I sent them to C/O Executive office. Hope the right person recieves the letters.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.