Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent DV letter but still got collection on report

tag
Lightdog555
New Contributor

Sent DV letter but still got collection on report

First want to say thx so much due to the help here my credit is much better than it was when I first logged on. 

I sent a DV letter certified mail which was received on 12-30-13 they have been calling me but I have been to busy working to answer it's from an apartment collection that I am disputing. Well i just got an email saying it hit my experian report. What is my next step? I perhaps could try a PFD but they haven't even responded to my DV request yet. The copy is called iq data international. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Sent DV letter but still got collection on report

Was your DV timely, meaning was it sent within 30 days of their dunning notice?

If timely, it invokes an automatic cease collection bar on them until such time as they have provided the requested debt verification.  That extends to reporting of their collection.

If untimely, they can simply go on abour their business as usual, without any response.

Message 2 of 6
Lightdog555
New Contributor

Thx for the reply yes it was sent within the 30 days of myself getting their letter.
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Have they been calling and was their reporting after receipt of your timely DV?

Once you have filed a timely DV, the debt collector is required to cease collection activities until they have verified the debt.

If they have done either, you could file a complaint with the CFPB, and they may possibly require deletion of their reporting, but they would be permitted to resinsert after providing debt verification.

The cease collection bar cuts two ways.  Their cease collection bar also prevents them from negotiating any terms other than simply accepting a payment in full.

Thus, until they have verified, they are not permitted to negotiate with you on a PFD offer.

You are kinda in limbo until the DV issue is resolved.

Message 4 of 6
Lightdog555
New Contributor

Yes they still have been calling. How would I go about contacting CFPB?
Message 5 of 6
MingleJill
Established Member

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/

Starting Score Fakos Nov' 13: 570 EX, 567 EQ, 553 TU
Feb '14:: 647 FICO '08 Ex, 584 EQ fako, 614 TU (walmart)
Judgement vacated Jan '14. Working on the Repo and 6 more baddies!

**Had 1 $300 card in Nov '13. Now have $10k NFCU Visa! **
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.