cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent DV to Contract Callers and I received this response..what should I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sent DV to Contract Callers and I received this response..what should I do?

I sent a simple DV letter to the CA Contract Callers in 8/18. I received a response dated from them on 8/22.

This is what it states:

Dear Wijenni,

We acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 7/18/11 (this is a typo on their end, letter was mailed 8/18 by CMRR). We have searcehd our database can cannot find any account associated with your name and the number you provided. We want to assist you in getting this matter resolved and provide you with the information that you require. 

Please contact me by telephone (800-xxx-xxxx ext. xxxx) or by email at debtcollector@xxxx so I can try ans ask you a few questions or try and identify the account in question. 

Thank you,

Debt Collector

This communication if from a debt collection agency (NOT A TYPO BY ME - this is how it is on their letter, along with the incorrect date that I sent the letter)

What should my next step be?

Thank you for any assistance.

Jenni

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sent DV to Contract Callers and I received this response..what should I do?

Do you have anything from them in writing, like a dunning letter? If so, does it show any account number from them? I would resend the DV, and I personally would consider it via e-mail if time was pressing. I'd resend the DV as is and include that account number. I would make sure a statement was at the bottom saying that all communication must remain in writing. I'd resend it and see what they say.

ETA...you mentioned a number. So it was included?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response. I do not have any letters from them, just what is reporting on my credit report.  The only account number I inluded on the DV letter was the account number that is on the credit report which of course has XX's replacing some numbers.   Yes, they did include a phone number and email address to contact them. 

Message 3 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'd resend the DV then since you don't have the full info. I would include a sentence at the start of the DV stating such that it is reporting. Include your name, your address, and maybe even a past address if you had moved at the time of this debt.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your advice, I resent the letter with the information that you requested and they contacted me stating that the account will be deleted from my report - I will check next week to see if they follow through. The representative said it should be removed by 09/07. 

The account was an error - my sister in law has the same name as my former married name - we have been divorced since 2001 and I have not used that name since then. 

Thank you to everyone on these boards, years ago I would have just paid it and moved on. 

Have a great weekend!

Message 5 of 7
inthematrix
Regular Contributor

Do NOT contact them by phone. It leaves you with no paper trail and some CAs are unscrupulous enough to try to get you to say things on the phone that will re-age the debt.

Starting Score 7/5/10: 498 (EQ)
Current Score 659 (EQ) 699 (EX) 712 (TU)
Goal Score: 700 (for now)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received the email confirmation this morning from them that it has been deleted from my account. Checked my reports and it was gone Smiley Happy One little step forward!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.