cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent PFD for MED COLL to CA, IGNORED...What next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sent PFD for MED COLL to CA, IGNORED...What next?

Someone help ??  I sent a PFD letter to 2 sep CA's (for old med collections) and rec'd a regular collection letter back from 1 and nothing back from the other.  What do I do?  Pay, THEN go through the HIPPA process?  I didn't know about the HIPPA process when I sent those PFD letters.  Did I screw this up? Help, I want to buy a house ASAP!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sent PFD for MED COLL to CA, IGNORED...What next?

How old are these collections? Can you pay them in full? Hospital or doctor bills?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Fused.. 1 is 7 years in May09 hospital $226 + interest, other (the one that CA responded) is about 2 1/2 years, also hospital and is for $300 + interest.  Yes, I can pay them in full. 
Message 3 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Begin with steps 1-3 in the med collections and HIPAA process thread in my siggy.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

okay, I accidentally clicked on the SOLVED button this morning without knowing what that meant.  Obviously a rookie here!

In any case, I would like to know a few things.

1.  Can I PIF the OC and write something on the back of the check (restrictive endorsement) BEFORE I SEND THE PRE-HIPPA LETTER???  BTW, I'm in CA. 

2. Can I deduct the interest that the CA states I owe and pay only amount of last bill from OC DIRECTLY to hospital?  Am I obligated to pay the interest?

3.  Is it true that a CA has to delete a med coll once paid because they have no business purpose to have your file?  If so, why don't I just pay the OC, then dispute with CRA's after?  Why go through the HIPPA process?  I have disputed 1 of these in the past and it was already verified and I don't want to get a bunch of "we have verified that this debt belongs to you" letters.   

I just need a little more explanation on this.......  I appreciate any help or responses! thanks fused!

Message 5 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

1.) No, the HIPAA process always starts with the first three steps. You should only pay the OC with the restrictive endorsement if the CRA's verify and the CA gives you a complete and accurate validation of the debt they are reporting.

2.) If you pay the CA, you are responsible for the interest. The OC is a different matter.

3.) Once it's paid, it needs to be removed. The HIPAA process allows you to build a case against the OC if they're in violation. If all else fails and you do not have the paid med collection removed, you MUST have written proof that you did everything imaginable to have the collection removed before you can file a HIPAA complain against the OC with the Office of Civil Rights. If you can't prove that you made every effort to resolve the matter on your own, the OCR will more than likely not accept your complaint. Following the HIPAA letter process to a "T", will be the proof you'll need if all attempts fail to have the collection deleted. If you have to file a complaint, you'll have all the goods on the OC.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again fused.....

Okay so if I understand correctly:

Even though the debts have been previously verified with all 3 CRA's, and I sent a PFD to both, I should just go through the HIPPA steps 1-3 in order to be able to dispute any violations LATER according to HIPPA?

Also,  Should I avoid ALL contact with the CA in the meantime (other than through the HIPPA process)?

Message 7 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

When was the last time you disputed?
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe it has been a few years. 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fused.....anyone?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.