Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent PFD letter to creditor, they replied requesting more info to validate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sent PFD letter to creditor, they replied requesting more info to validate

About a month ago, I sent an offer to pay a debt in full in exchange for the creditor to stop reporting on it.

Today, I received a reply stating that they're unable to validate the debt based on the information that I provided, and requested additional information including my birthdate, SSN, account number, my signature, and any other information to help them validate.

To be clear, I did not dispute the debt and did not request validation. I clearly stated that I neither dispute or acknowledge the debt as mine, but am willing to pay it in full in exchange for them to stop reporting on it. In my letter, I included my full name, address and the account number that is listed on my credit report by the creditor.

This debt is still with the original creditor, it hasn't been sold to a collection agency. This is also a major bank, not a small place.

Now that I have the letter from them stating that they can't validate it, can I forward that letter to the CRAs disputing it saying that the OC can't validate the debt?

The exact text of their letter was

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the accuracy of inforamtion furnished by XXX to a consumer reporting agency. At this time, however, XXX lacks sufficient information to investigate your dispute.

Please provide the following information so that we can address your question:

• Social Security Number
  • Date ofBirth
  • Ten digit account number
  • More information on the specific issue
  • Signature of account holder
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sent PFD letter to creditor, they replied requesting more info to validate

From what I take of it, you didn't provide them enough information to validate the debt or even accept or deny your PFD.

Providing it to the CRA's isn't going to help you much cause they're just going to dispute it with the Collection Agency.  Sounds like you didn't provide to them an account number or anything when you sent them a PFD letter which you are supposed to do.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I included the account # that they reported to all three collection agencies in the Regarding line of the letter. I double checked it tonight after receiving their reply.

Message 3 of 9
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

If this is the origianl creditor, they need more info.

Personally, for OC's, it doesn't hurt to call. You should have the account number from the bill. If you don't have the account number, then you need to get it. That is what their letter is indicating.

I've called OC's even past SOL. Just because you talk to them, doesn't mean you acknowledge the debt. The account numbers on the credit reports are not the full account number (so you will call, since the creditors are the real customers).

If its the collection agency, then you need to send dv letter first. After proper debt validation, then PFD.

Original Creditors need direct dispute, not debt vallidations. You could send direct dispute if they can't validate as you claim. After direct dispute, and dv collection agency, then have some letters that can either further your pay for delete, or give to CRA,s for removal.

But response for PFD not enough to paper trail for removal.
Signature needs updating
Message 4 of 9
dashpt
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

About a month ago, I sent an offer to pay a debt in full in exchange for the creditor to stop reporting on it.

Today, I received a reply stating that they're unable to validate the debt based on the information that I provided, and requested additional information including my birthdate, SSN, account number, my signature, and any other information to help them validate.

To be clear, I did not dispute the debt and did not request validation. I clearly stated that I neither dispute or acknowledge the debt as mine, but am willing to pay it in full in exchange for them to stop reporting on it. In my letter, I included my full name, address and the account number that is listed on my credit report by the creditor.

This debt is still with the original creditor, it hasn't been sold to a collection agency. This is also a major bank, not a small place.

Now that I have the letter from them stating that they can't validate it, can I forward that letter to the CRAs disputing it saying that the OC can't validate the debt?

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the accuracy of inforamtion furnished by XXX to a consumer reporting agency. At this time, however, XXX lacks sufficient information to investigate your dispute.

• Social Security Number
  • Date ofBirth

It's not your job to help them validate a debt, do not give them your social or DOB, if they can not validate then they show delete, simple!  if you included the account number that was listed on your credit report by them, then they should have had all the info they needed, do not help them to hang you.

Cap one secured=200 closed
Cap One unsecured10,000
Wellsfargo1500
Walmart5000
Victoria'ssecrets1850, citicard 6500TU=735,Ex=723,Eq=734
Message 5 of 9
dashpt
Frequent Contributor

ok i just saw where you said it's not with a collection agency, then in that case try looking for the account number and they may try to verify certian information over the phone, last four of SS and so on....excuse my first reponse I thought it was the collection agency...

Cap One unsecured10,000
Wellsfargo1500
Walmart5000
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dashpt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

• Social Security Number
  • Date ofBirth

It's not your job to help them validate a debt, do not give them your social or DOB, if they can not validate then they show delete, simple!  if you included the account number that was listed on your credit report by them, then they should have had all the info they needed, do not help them to hang you.

I disagree - you need to *AT THE LEAST* provide them sufficient information as to WHO YOU ARE, in order for them to reasonably validate whether that debt belongs to you or someone with the same name but a different birthday/SS/account#/etc. 

Message 7 of 9
dashpt
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dashpt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

• Social Security Number
  • Date ofBirth

I disagree - you need to *AT THE LEAST* provide them sufficient information as to WHO YOU ARE, in order for them to reasonably validate whether that debt belongs to you or someone with the same name but a different birthday/SS/account#/etc. 

please see my corrected post.

Cap One unsecured10,000
Wellsfargo1500
Walmart5000
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

please see my corrected post.

Showed up after I wrote that. My apologies.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.