Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent a PFD - they want me to call them

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sent a PFD - they want me to call them

I used one of the PFD's on the forums (edited to my balances) offering to pay the balance if they would agree to remove it from the agencies. Today I received a letter that they are offering a settlement but all I have to do is call them and I have until the 30th. I haven't called as I don't want to say anything incorrect or binding. This is the only item on my reports left that I want to wipe.

Any advice?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sent a PFD - they want me to call them

I am getting ready to attempt my first PFD so I am interested in this answer. I would guess that there's not much you can say that would be binding that you didn't already include in your letter, so it is most likely safe to call, but don't agree to anything that you are unable to handle. Hopefull those with more experience will chime in. Good luck!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO ONLY

Don't call.  Ffffffforget that!  I want my agreements in writing. If I call, they'll try to take payment on the phone, or verify the debt, and they have your voice recorded now submittable in some courts.

Overnight FedEx is my friend.  Then I put it in my tax receipts pile to see if I can write it off.

Verbal linguistics is not my forte. I won't battle verbally. Lesson learnt.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not call. Get everything in writing. All communication should be through letters to hold as evidence. Easier to reply to letters than to think quickly over the phone.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So calling is never good, even when the debt is already verified? 

Message 5 of 10
creditguy
Valued Contributor

I would have to agree with 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was very wary of calling them as I only saw that they want me to verbally agree to paying and they have nothing for me to prove it. So how should I respond? Do I just ignore their letter and send another or do I call and tell them to send me a letter or what? I'm so desperate to just get this final mark off my reports

-Than you everyone for your advise thus far!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was very wary of calling them as I only saw that they want me to verbally agree to paying and they have nothing for me to prove it. So how should I respond? Do I just ignore their letter and send another or do I call and tell them to send me a letter or what? I'm so desperate to just get this final mark off my reports

-Than you everyone for your advise thus far!

They're trying to pressure you to panic and make a mistake. Always remember it's your money and you are in full control of it. Take things slowly and deliberately. Pen and paper are your weapons against them. CA's like doing things over the phone as it is almost impossible to prove anything in court unless you record the call yourself. Do not verbally agree to anything. Send them a letter in which you do not admit guilt or ownership of the account, but want to negotiate a PFD agreement.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the letter they sent me:

Dear XXXXXX,

As an incentive to resolve this matter, our client has authorized us to offer you the opportunity to settle your outstanding account. If you are not able to settle your account at this time we may still be able to help you by negotiating an affordable payment plan on the current balance.

All you need to do to take advantage of this offer is to call our office at your earliest convenience at XXXXXX to speak with one of our non-attorney debt collectors to discuss the option available to you.

(Everything is in bold from here on out)
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT NEITHER THIS FIRM NOR OUR CLIENT IS UNDER ANY OBLIGATION TO RENEW THIS OFFER OF FULL SETTLEMENT AFTER FRIDAY OCTOBER 30 2015.

AT THIS TIME, NO ATTORNEY WITH THIS FIRM HAS PERSONALLY REVIEWED THE PARTICULAR CIRCUMSTANCES OF YOUR ACCOUNT.

THIS IS AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT, ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED WILL BE USED FOR THAT PURPOSE. THIS COMMUNICATION IS FROM A DEBT COLLECTOR AND IS NOT A THREAT TO SUE OR BRING LEGAL ACTION AGAINST YOU. IN THE SENDING OF THIS LETTER, THIS FIRM IS ACTING SOLELY AS A DEBT COLLECTOR AND NOT IN ANY LEGAL CAPACITY.

Sincerely,

XXXX XXX, P.A

What concerns me is the last bit that that "this is an attempt to collect a debt".

Now, I do have a call recorder on my cell phone (for my line of work its extremely useful) what should I do at this point? I'm confused if I have to reply in anyway. I will write out what SouthEast80 mentioned (no guilt/ownership just negotiation of a PFD). That will be suffice correct? Ill post the letter I write when I get home.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The main thing you want to do is avoid acknowledging the debt is yours. They try to be slick and ask you subtle questions that sneakily get you to admit the debt, and if you try to sue them or dispute something in court, they have evidence of you admitting guilt basically.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.