Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent letter to CA...... Responded With A Collection Letter

tag
IMPROVELIFE
New Contributor

Sent letter to CA...... Responded With A Collection Letter

I sent a letter to a CA, who only deleted a tradeline from 1 CRA instead of all 3. The letters reads:

I have recently filed a dispute with the 3 major credit reporting agencies to include Experian, TransUnion and Equifax in both September 2010 as well as in October 2010, disputing negative information that your offices are reporting on my credit file. This negative information was deleted and removed from the TransUnion report however, it has not been deleted and removed from the other 2 major credit reporting agencies to include Experian and Equifax. Under the provisions of FCRA 623(a)(8)(E)(iv), you are required to notify ALL of the credit reporting agencies of the deletion of your prior reporting to TransUnion by instructing the other 2 major credit reporting agencies to delete this information from my credit file. I request your immediate notification to the credit reporting agencies Equifax and Experian, of the previously deleted information. Upon your request to Experian to delete this negative information from my credit file, a copy of such deletion request should be sent to me immediately in writing to the above address. I received a "Collection Letter" back from the CA. It indeed is the typical collection letter stating that this is an attempt to collect a debt..........

What should I do next about this issue? Should I send a DV to the CA? Or is the (CA) by law supposed to delete from all of the CRA's file if they have deleted from one? I am sure these questions have come up before, I searched but couldnt find exactly what I was looking for. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 570
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Sent letter to CA...... Responded With A Collection Letter

FCRA 623(a)(8)(E)(iv) does not apply to credit reporrtingn agencies.  It is imposed on those who report to a credit reporting agency.

It only applies to the person who, if you fliled a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8) with a creditor, and, then they ( the creditor) investigate, and found that the disputed information was inacccurate that they must update this information with each CRA they had reported the information to.

The party (OC of CA) to which the direct dispute was addressed must then notify any CRA that they have updated the disputed information with any CRA to which they posted the information.  That is not an obligation on any CRA to contact any other CRA..

I see no legal basis for confronting the CRA on this matter. 

Message 2 of 4
IMPROVELIFE
New Contributor

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response.  Maybe I'm not explaining things correctly forgive if I am not.  In my message, I wasnt saying that I want the CRA (credit reporting agencies) to correct the issue of the (Collection Agencies).  I was trying to say that there is a few CA's that have deleted (after disputing through the CRA's) from TU, however those same CA's verified w/ both EX & EQ.  I was just wondering is there a law that says if the CA deletes after a dispute with one CRA they must also delete from the other CRA's? I will also do some more research to see if I can find any answers. Also, when I sent the letter to the CA's, one of them responded w/ a collection letter saying that they are trying to collect a debt.  duh... thats why I sent them a letter in the first place lol  Smiley Happy  Does anyone know what I should do?  Thanks in advance  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 570
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IMPROVELIFE wrote:

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response.  Maybe I'm not explaining things correctly forgive if I am not.  In my message, I wasnt saying that I want the CRA (credit reporting agencies) to correct the issue of the (Collection Agencies).  I was trying to say that there is a few CA's that have deleted (after disputing through the CRA's) from TU, however those same CA's verified w/ both EX & EQ.  I was just wondering is there a law that says if the CA deletes after a dispute with one CRA they must also delete from the other CRA's? I will also do some more research to see if I can find any answers. Also, when I sent the letter to the CA's, one of them responded w/ a collection letter saying that they are trying to collect a debt.  duh... thats why I sent them a letter in the first place lol  Smiley Happy  Does anyone know what I should do?  Thanks in advance  Smiley Happy

short answer, no.  

like robert said, your initial dispute should be with the OC or CA, whichever is reporting a TL.  TLs come and go, and not all CRAs report the same information.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.