Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent to Collections Unfairly

tag
coachcb
Established Member

Sent to Collections Unfairly

AT&T was my provider for wireless service for internet.  I cancelled service on June 25th.  Billing cycle was started on June 20th.  To get to final billing, I called accounts receiveable to 1) see if my credit card would still pay the final bill and 2) why the bill was for $30.20..(too much for 5 days).  This $30.20 was not due until July 22nd.  AT&T was wonderful and cleared the $30.20 instead of crediting back some $$$.  Final bill and $0 balance.  Closed, done, goodbye...UNTIL TODAY I RECEIVED A Collection from West ASSet Management collection agency for $30.20.  I have worked for 1 year to get my score up above 740 to get a mortgage next week.  WHAT NOW?

I called AT&T and they verified that I have a zero balance and they would contact West ASSet Management and let them know......The collection letter says to notify the office within 30 days or they will consider the debt valid.  Request the office in writing....PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT TO DO..I CANNOT have this show up now that I have all my scores up.....Thanks
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
wahmom
Frequent Contributor

Re: Sent to Collections Unfairly

Send them a DV letter right away before they report. They can not continue collection activities including reporting until they have validated the debt.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sent to Collections Unfairly

Hopefully AT&T will get this taken care of pronto.

In the meantime, send the CA a DV as suggested.

You said you received a collection, was it reported or did you just get the letter? If you just got the letter, then they can not report after getting the DV, unless they validate. I would get the letter sent CMRRR ASAP.

I would stay on AT & T until they fax you something showing everything is taken care of. Get the rep's name you dealt with and is handling this. Call every day or every other day if needed.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.