Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent validation after 30 days of receipt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sent validation after 30 days of receipt

I noticed a discrepancy on my credit report, so I sent a validation letter to the creditor and received a response outside the 30 day window they are given to respond. Some of the information is missing that I requested they provide, but I was curious to know if anyone knows what steps I should take given the tardy reply?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Sent validation after 30 days of receipt

There are several issues with the posted scenario.

First, the DV process applies only to debt collectors, and not to creditors.

You can request a creditor to provide validation information, but compliance is always voluntary.  Their contract agreements with consumers coupled with their billing statements are considered to be ongoing validation of the current debt. 

Second, there is no requirement, even under the DV process that applies to debt collectors, that they send validation within 30 days.

The 30-day period under the DV process applies to consumers, and sets the period after receipt of a collection ("dunning") notice within which a consumer must make their request for validation in order for the request to be timely, and thus impose a cease collection bar on the debt collector.

After receipt of a timely DV request, the debt collector is under no requirment to or period for providing the requested validation.

They can choose to continue not to respond as long as they dont continue any further active collection activities on the debt.

Call them back and nicely renew your request that they voluntarily send you whatever info you no longer have records to support.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.