Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sentry Recovery Systems

tag
scorepower
Regular Contributor

Sentry Recovery Systems

Hello,

Couple of days ago i received a call from Sentry Recovery Systems about a past debt about an apartment lease in Las Vegas. They actually called me at my workplace. Needless to say, i was furious. I called them back and advised that my employer restrticts calls and i can't receive it it work. They said they can call me once then transferred the phone to another guy. I told him the same thing and he told me we will then just serve you. I said go ahead and he hung up on me. I'm still fuming. They have called me a couple of time previously to tell me about the debt. I have formally never received anything in writing from them. So here's my steps:

1. 1) I'm certifying a letter for them to only contact me at the numbers i give them and my address. 
  2. I'm requesting a DV from them.

My question is, can they still call my employer? If they do, do i have any other recourse? Any other steps i should take? 

Just a little history about the debt: I lived in Las Vegas for 2 years for work and rented a small apartment. When i left, i took pictures and spoke with the leasing agent and turned in the keys. My mistake was i had to leave over the weekend and they said no one could inspect the apartment over the weekend. I figured the pictures would be OK. Anyway, few months later was when i received a call about this debt. I was shocked and told them i would call the apartment complex. The apartment said they sold the debt and they could not help me anymore. The debt collector called me a couple other times within a year and i just ignored them as i don't agreee with this debt. 

Is there any other steps i should take with these jack@$$'es ? 

Arrrrrrrgh. 

Thanks

1/16/16 Credit Check Total FICO 08 Scores: TU 633, EX 651, EQ 629
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Sentry Recovery Systems

@scorepower wrote:

Hello,

Couple of days ago i received a call from Sentry Recovery Systems about a past debt about an apartment lease in Las Vegas. They actually called me at my workplace. Needless to say, i was furious. I called them back and advised that my employer restrticts calls and i can't receive it it work. They said they can call me once then transferred the phone to another guy. I told him the same thing and he told me we will then just serve you. I said go ahead and he hung up on me. I'm still fuming. They have called me a couple of time previously to tell me about the debt. I have formally never received anything in writing from them. So here's my steps:

1. 1) I'm certifying a letter for them to only contact me at the numbers i give them and my address. 

My question is, can they still call my employer? If they do, do i have any other recourse? Any other steps i should take? 

Just a little history about the debt: I lived in Las Vegas for 2 years for work and rented a small apartment. When i left, i took pictures and spoke with the leasing agent and turned in the keys. My mistake was i had to leave over the weekend and they said no one could inspect the apartment over the weekend. I figured the pictures would be OK. Anyway, few months later was when i received a call about this debt. I was shocked and told them i would call the apartment complex. The apartment said they sold the debt and they could not help me anymore. The debt collector called me a couple other times within a year and i just ignored them as i don't agreee with this debt. 

Arrrrrrrgh. 

Thanks

They can call your work...once. You must tell them it's not appropriate for work contact, and provide alternative contact number, but advise them you'll only respond to written communication. 

That phone call is their initial communication, so make sure they get that DV within the 30 day window. If timely, then they can either reply, or ignore your DV. If they ignore it, then they can't legally pursue any collection activites, until the validation occurs. If they do continue to call/mail after the DV reciept is verified (sent it CMRRR to them BTW), document the call times/dates, and save letters...then get a consumer debt atty for violations, which will most assuredly cost you nothing upfront.

Message 2 of 12
seruby
Frequent Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

@scorepower wrote:

Hello,

Arrrrrrrgh. 

Thanks

They can call your work...once. You must tell them it's not appropriate for work contact, and provide alternative contact number, but advise them you'll only respond to written communication. 

That phone call is their initial communication, so make sure they get that DV within the 30 day window. If timely, then they can either reply, or ignore your DV. If they ignore it, then they can't legally pursue any collection activites, until the validation occurs. If they do continue to call/mail after the DV reciept is verified (sent it CMRRR to them BTW), document the call times/dates, and save letters...then get a consumer debt atty for violations, which will most assuredly cost you nothing upfront.

Don't they have to send a dunning notice first?  I believe under the FDCPA, they have to send it within 5 days of the initial communcation,  then the 30 day time frame for the dunning letter begins.

Message 3 of 12
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@seruby wrote:

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

@scorepower wrote:

Hello,

Arrrrrrrgh. 

Thanks

Don't they have to send a dunning notice first?  I believe under the FDCPA, they have to send it within 5 days of the initial communcation,  then the 30 day time frame for the dunning letter begins.

By the letter of the law, yes, five business days, but nobody has ever successfully won over that little detail, as it comes to burden of proof, as far as the dunning from them goes.

You have a thirty day window from their 1st contact, to get that DV sent to them, and in their hands. That's why you always want to do CMRRR.

Message 4 of 12
scorepower
Regular Contributor

Thanks All. I just used the template i found here that is very thorough. I'm certifying mail and sending it out today. 

Message 5 of 12
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@scorepower wrote:

Thanks All. I just used the template i found here that is very thorough. I'm certifying mail and sending it out today. 

Don't put a signature, or your SSN on it. Just your address, name, and their listed acct number, if there is one.

Keep it simple, and nothing threatening..i/e legal mumbo jumbo.

Message 6 of 12
scorepower
Regular Contributor

I'm soo pissed about this. And now i really want to fight till the end. I would of loved to continue talking to him and make him feel stupid but he hung up on me. 

Message 7 of 12
scorepower
Regular Contributor

I used a similar letter to this. Also yes, i did not include my signature. 

ate

Your Name
Your Address
City, State Zip

Collection Agency
Collection Agency Address
City, State Zip

Re: Acct No. XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing this letter in response to the phone call/letter received from you on (Date). In conformance to my rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), I am requesting you to provide me with a validation of the debt that you talked of earlier. Please note, this a not a refusal to pay, rather a statement that your claim is disputed and validation is demanded. (15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b))

I do hereby request that your office provide me with complete documentation to verify that I owe the said debt and have any legal obligation to pay you.

Please provide me with the following:

1. Agreement with the creditor that authorizes you to collect on this alleged debt
  2. The agreement bearing my signature stating that I have agreed to assume the debt
  3. Valid copies of the debt agreement stating the amount of the debt and interest charges
  4. Proof that the Statute of Limitations has not expired
  5. Complete payment history on this account along with an accounting of all additional charges being assessed
  6. Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state; and
  7. Your license numbers and Registered Agent

If your office fails to reply to this debt validation letter within 30 days from the date of your receipt, all instances related to this account must be immediately deleted and completely removed from my credit file. Moreover, all future attempts to collect on the said debt must be ceased.

Your non-compliance with my request will also be construed as an absolute waiver of all claims to enforce the debt against me and your implied agreement to compensate me for court costs and attorney fees if I am forced to bring this matter before a judge.

Thanking you,

Message 8 of 12
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

That's a joke letter, they don't have to comply to any of that beyond, them stating a balance, and the OC's name.

Message 9 of 12
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

TO: PAIN IN MY BUTT

REF: ACCT NUMBER ON DUNNING

I DON'T RECOGNIZE THIS DEBT. YOU'RE REPORTING IT ONTO MY CREDIT FILES. PLEASE VALIDATE THIS DEBT.

THANKS,

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.