Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Served Tonight with HSBC Lawsut

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Served Tonight with HSBC Lawsut

I was served tonight with an HSBC lawsuit for a credit cvard I had two years ago.  For the past two years I've been fighting illnesses.  I've been in and out of comas, had toth feet amputated, etc...(and more tha I won't go into).  It's just been a waiting game for me trying to figure out when the first company would take me to court.  Now that I've been served is there anything I can do to fight this.  I do owe this money and if i had a chance i could pay it off slowly.  Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Belver

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Served Tonight with HSBC Lawsut

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, as you said, you do owe the money. They have every right to collect it and this is the next logical step for them. In my opinion, I would contact HSBC directly and ask for a payment plan to pay the debt off. They will likely work with you and give you a reasonable amount of time to do so if you are straight forward with them. There's nothing to fight really; they are trying to collect a debt you acknowledged you owe.

Good luck, sorry to hear though.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 22
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Did you ever try to make arrangements with them? 

Do not miss the court date.  They can get a default judgment against you.  If you yourself cannot make, have representation there. 

Depending on your circumstances and state, there may be ways to keep them from getting a judgment, or at least having to pay it.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would try to make arrangements with them, but they told me that what I wanted to pay wasn't enough.  I did a lot of research this morning and found a form answer to the complaint they filed against me.  I was thinking about filing a motion for an extension of time, but I don't need to do that now.  I also found out that i can make them prove I owe this debt (which they might not be able to do).  I never asked them to verify the debt.  I was too sick to do anything during the period when they were pusuing this debt, so I can request that now.   I also found out that the fact that my present income is only SSI is a valid defense to the lawsuit, so I'll be using that information too.   Thanks for the advice.

Belver

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does HSBC knows you are on total disability? You need to let them know that you are because then they will realize that they will not get any money. Judgement or not. It will actually cost them money to go to the court for their lawyers. If your income is only from SSDI then you are pretty much garnishment proof. Meaning SSDI, VA Disability, and some employer disability income are exempt from garnishment by law.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would try to make arrangements with them, but they told me that what I wanted to pay wasn't enough.  I did a lot of research this morning and found a form answer to the complaint they filed against me.  I was thinking about filing a motion for an extension of time, but I don't need to do that now.  I also found out that i can make them prove I owe this debt (which they might not be able to do).  I never asked them to verify the debt.  I was too sick to do anything during the period when they were pusuing this debt, so I can request that now.   I also found out that the fact that my present income is only SSI is a valid defense to the lawsuit, so I'll be using that information too.   Thanks for the advice.

Belver

First the bad news ... SSI is not a defense to a lawsuit.  Even though one's sole source of income way be SSI, a creditor may still obtain a judgment against you.  The problem is when they try to collect on that judgment.

Fortunately you may be luckier than you think.  First of all, do not -- not -- miss the court date.  If you do, they will obtain a default judgment against you   Even though you may be what we term "judgment proof," with that judgment the judgment creditor can still attach your bank accounts.  Granted they generally cannot take your SSI, they can have your account frozen until such time as you prove that the funds in that account are exclusively from SSI and during that time period you will have no access to the money in your account to pay bills or daily living expenses. 

Now that we have established that you will appear in court, there are a few things you can do that will help relieve the pressure.  First, make the creditor prove the existence of the debt.  Be careful in that you do not outright deny a debt that you know is valid, but suggest that there may be some doubt as to whether the debt is truly yours or not.  To do otherwise risks total alienation of the judge and the creditor and you want to enlist their assistance in solving this issue to everyone's satisfaction -- especially yours.  Assuming that the creditor can prove the debt, you want to make sure the judge is aware that the reason you did not pay the debt is not because you simply didn't want to.  Make your situation known and inform the judge that you did attempt to make payment arrangements subject to the reality of your situation, but the creditor refused them.  Often a judge will establish a payment plan for you and, if you complete the plan, not enter a judgment against you.  This is called a stipulated judgment.  Think of it like probation.  Make sure you do not agree with anything that you are not sure you can comply with.

At the same time you are explaining the above to the court, make it known that your sole source of income is SSI and that you otherwise have no assets.  Knowing that you are "judgment proof" should encourage the creditor to accept a payment plan that you can live with. 

Worst comes to worst and they obtain a judgment, you need to take steps to avoid your bank account(s) from being attached / frozen.  Depending on what state you are in, there are various steps you can take to negate the consequences. 

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Does HSBC knows you are on total disability? You need to let them know that you are because then they will realize that they will not get any money. Judgement or not. It will actually cost them money to go to the court for their lawyers. If your income is only from SSDI then you are pretty much garnishment proof. Meaning SSDI, VA Disability, and some employer disability income are exempt from garnishment by law.

Not garnishment proof.  They can serve process on your bank and the bank will freeze the account until such time as the account owner proves the funds are SSI.  During the several weeks that this may take, one has no access at all to their money and cannot pay bills or obtain cash for daily living expenses.  Most of the time the account owner is liable for bank fees associated with being served process.   If the account is a joint account, it can even get more complicated. 

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

>>Not garnishment proof.  They can serve process on your bank and the bank will freeze the account until such time as the account owner proves the funds are SSI.  During >>the several weeks that this may take, one has no access at all to their money and cannot pay bills or obtain cash for daily living expenses.  Most of the time the account >>owner is liable for bank fees associated with being served process.   If the account is a joint account, it can even get more complicated.
THAT is the real complication I'm trying to guard against.  I can't go to a check cashing place to cash my checks and if I lose my bank account (which could happen if a hold is placed on it) I won't be able to cash my checks.  It's taken me a long time to get a good relationship with my bank and I don't want that ruined for something they'd have to give back anyway.  I'm going to put the information about me being totally disabled in my answer to the court.  I told it to  the collection agency already.
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
>>Not garnishment proof.  They can serve process on your bank and the bank will freeze the account until such time as the account owner proves the funds are SSI.  During >>the several weeks that this may take, one has no access at all to their money and cannot pay bills or obtain cash for daily living expenses.  Most of the time the account >>owner is liable for bank fees associated with being served process.   If the account is a joint account, it can even get more complicated.
THAT is the real complication I'm trying to guard against.  I can't go to a check cashing place to cash my checks and if I lose my bank account (which could happen if a hold is placed on it) I won't be able to cash my checks.  It's taken me a long time to get a good relationship with my bank and I don't want that ruined for something they'd have to give back anyway.  I'm going to put the information about me being totally disabled in my answer to the court.  I told it to  the collection agency already.

In a perfect world they'd believe you or even give a darn when you tell them your sole income is SSI.  The fact is, however, no matter what you tell them they have the right to attempt garnishment and it is up to you to sort the problem out after the fact.  Many states allow them to duplicate this process every six months or so. 

If it comes out poorly for you at your court hearing, I can suggest the following:

1.  Do not close your account, but maintain a balance of about $5 or less.  Most states have laws which prohibit garnishment of accounts under a certain balance.  This balance is usually very low -- often under $30.

2.  Cash your checks, obtain cash and do not deposit the money into your account.

3.  In fact, closing the account might even be better because even if your balance is minimal and the judgment creditor can garnish nothing, your bank is likely to charge you up to $100 just because they were served process and an attempt was made to levy against your account. 

4.  Use the bank account of a close friend or relative. 

5.  Move your account to an online-only bank or a an out-of-state bank.  Many times when they are looking for your bank accounts they use the shotgun approach and serve every bank that has a branch in your neighborhood ... or even your city.

Your best bet is to find a local attorney who is familiar with the laws and garnishment in your state. 

Is bankruptcy an option for you?  That would stop HSBC and all other creditors dead in their tracks.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed for bankruptcy in 2005 so that's not an option for me now.  I wish I hadn't because I need it so badly now.  Or I need to hit the lottery in a big way.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.