Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settle? Broken lease. IQ DATA INTL

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Settle? Broken lease. IQ DATA INTL

Hi! I have a broken lease that's scheduled to be removed from my CR by 11/2015 that my mom had rented and she needed my help with getting the apartment.long story short, she became unemployed A few months later and was separating from my dad leaving me to help take care of her and my sister till she found a job and end result is leaving the apartment and this on my report. It's through IQ DATA INTL for $9700 including interest I believe it was 2500 when I originally had the bill ( I was charged for breaking the lease (obviously) and they charged me all these ridiculous fees when the apartment was in great condition) .i don't and have never had that kind of money and I'd like know if I could settle once the SOL has passed? It gives me time to save enough to put a percentage down. How much should I settle for? I'm planning to buy a house in or around 3-4 years from now and want to make sure my credit is as clean as I can get it when that time comes...

Thanks,
Islandgirl89
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Settle? Broken lease. IQ DATA INTL

Your info is confusing.

When was the date of first delinquency? If it is going to be removed from your CBR 11/2015, you seem good on a CBR front. What are the SOL in your state? Look this up on google. SOL and CBR report times are separate animals.

Do not contact the CA until you research these items as agreeing to an arrangement of payment could reset the SOL.

Message 2 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

While you are researching, look up your public records to see if the apartment complex management co got a judgment against you. They usually try to do this right away and then let it build up interest.

To see if they have a judgment go to the Clerk of Courts section of your county records. This is usually on line for many, many jurisdictions. All you have to do is look up your name and any public records will show up (if your county is online). Judgments don't always show up on your credit report. They last 10 to 20 years and can be renewed for another period if the judgment is unpaid. Look up your specfic state's statutes to see the time period and the renewal criteria.

Long story short - you are right. It is best to take care of it now.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Your info is confusing.

When was the date of first delinquency? If it is going to be removed from your CBR 11/2015, you seem good on a CBR front. What are the SOL in your state? Look this up on google. SOL and CBR report times are separate animals.

Do not contact the CA until you research these items as agreeing to an arrangement of payment could reset the SOL.

DagsKY, sorry for the confusion!  SOL in WA is 6 years DOFD is 4/21/2009. What  advise could  you offer? Thanks for your  help!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

While you are researching, look up your public records to see if the apartment complex management co got a judgment against you. They usually try to do this right away and then let it build up interest.

To see if they have a judgment go to the Clerk of Courts section of your county records. This is usually on line for many, many jurisdictions. All you have to do is look up your name and any public records will show up (if your county is online). Judgments don't always show up on your credit report. They last 10 to 20 years and can be renewed for another period if the judgment is unpaid. Look up your specfic state's statutes to see the time period and the renewal criteria.

StartingOver10, thanks for the info.  I looked online and  see I  have  afew recods on there that I wasn't aware of. I've never been arrested or served before...  Idk what to do .. It only provides  me with the case number.. I'd have to contact  the court directly for the info. Is it safe to do that?  What should I do next?  Thank you for your help, I'm trying not to have a panic attack. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump. 

Message 6 of 7
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

StartingOver10, thanks for the info.  I looked online and  see I  have  afew recods on there that I wasn't aware of. I've never been arrested or served before...  Idk what to do .. It only provides  me with the case number.. I'd have to contact  the court directly for the info. Is it safe to do that?  What should I do next?  Thank you for your help, I'm trying not to have a panic attack. 

Yes, contact the court house and see what the case was about.  If it was the apt complex, determine what address they used to "serve" you and get a copy of the service of process.  In many states, you can get the judgment vacated due to improper service.  If they then refile, you can respond with the affirmative defense that it is out of statute and it will put that debt to bed.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.