Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settle Judgement?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Settle Judgement?

Hi. I have a judgement for an old credit card for $900, the judgement is from 2010. Does anyone have any advice about settling it? I don't have the $900 to pay it off, but could come up with a limp sum of less. Is this something that can be done? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Settle Judgement?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi. I have a judgement for an old credit card for $900, the judgement is from 2010. Does anyone have any advice about settling it? I don't have the $900 to pay it off, but could come up with a limp sum of less. Is this something that can be done? Thanks in advance for any advice.

At this point, if they have not pursued you for it, I would leave it be. They can likely tack a bunch of interest to it (depending on your state laws) which after 6 year has probably doubled it. The CRA's will generally exclude it at 7 years. You may want to investigate you states laws regarding the collection of judgements. Find out if its still enforceable of not. most states have a 10 year enfocement period before it must be renewed, but some have as little as five years. I would not contact the creditor, just the court - find out if its still enforceable or if it has expired.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

They have been contacting me via mail. I received a letter last week about settling it for 70%, however I was hoping to offer less than that.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

They have been contacting me via mail. I received a letter last week about settling it for 70%, however I was hoping to offer less than that.

If they are making such offers with a judgement, then they consider you uncollectible. Are you essentially uncollectible? If thats the case, then you can always make a counteroffer or just let it age off your reports.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.