cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settle Old Debt? - Full Factual Report?

tag
titanofold
Established Contributor

Re: Settle Old Debt? - Full Factual Report?

@NeverBackDown wrote:

@titanofold wrote:

The problem he ran into probably was because the CO wasn't actually paid or settled, not merely the fact that he had one. Even though the TL is old and fallen of the CRs, doesn't mean the debt doesn't need to be taken care of.

True, the CO wasn't paid or settled in my friend's case & not in my case either. 

I want to take care of it, but simply cannot afford the total amounts due (insanely high due to late fees, etc.).  Let's say I knew that a lender would require the CO's to be paid prior to moving forward with the mortgage, would settling these CO's for less than originally owed count as being ''paid''?

Yes, because then the bank wouldn't have to worry about you being sued into financial ruin...because of a CO anyway.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 11 of 19
Libra85
Regular Contributor

How can you be sued for a CO if the SOL have passed? In my state SOL are 3 years.

October 2021
Message 12 of 19
NeverBackDown

@Libra85 wrote:

How can you be sued for a CO if the SOL have passed? In my state SOL are 3 years.

True.  The SOL in my state is 4 years. 

Message 13 of 19
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

This would be a zombie debt.  Now there's a bit of a dilema here.  I "almost" always side on the paying/settlling of debts, even in this case.  But this is my choice.  I will give you an example.

I had a medical bill, which I paid at a lessened amount that was agreed upon, and with nothing in writing.  Down the line, I had a CA pop up on the unpaid amount.  I went through all the steps, calls, letters, disputes, etc.  But they just validated everything.  It had passed the SOL and eventually was removed once it passed the CRTP.  By this time it had turned to a ridiculous amount.  

Would I pay it?  NOPE!  Now if I went to a lender and they said I had to pay it, would I?  NOPE!  I'd take my business somewhere else.  I've had no problem with getting a loan in the excess of 150k and a job at over 75K.  

So like I said, there's extenuating circumstances and a YMMV type of situation for everything.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 14 of 19
titanofold
Established Contributor

@NeverBackDown wrote:

@Libra85 wrote:

There's one of three places the suit can be filed: Your state, the CAs state, or the OCs state. So, just because you're past the SOL according to the state you're in doesn't necessarily mean you're out of the woods yet.

Further, some states have SOLs of 15 years. I didn't ask which state, but I wasn't quite assuming anything either. Potentially, the suit can still be filed even though it's past the SOL. All you have to do is claim SOL as your defence, but the suit is inconvenient, to say the least.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 15 of 19
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@titanofold wrote:

@NeverBackDown wrote:

@Libra85 wrote:

There's one of three places the suit can be filed: Your state, the CAs state, or the OCs state. So, just because you're past the SOL according to the state you're in doesn't necessarily mean you're out of the woods yet.

Further, some states have SOLs of 15 years. I didn't ask which state, but I wasn't quite assuming anything either. Potentially, the suit can still be filed even though it's past the SOL. All you have to do is claim SOL as your defence, but the suit is inconvenient, to say the least.

Technically this is not true.  If that were the case, then all the CAs would set up shop in Kentucky or one of the states that have elongated SOLs, but this is not the case.  Now if you were in another state and moved, then I believe that to be an option, albeit not a popular one.  Most often they are brought in the state in which you reside.

July 2013 score:

Message 16 of 19
NeverBackDown

@Shogun wrote:

This would be a zombie debt.  Now there's a bit of a dilema here.  I "almost" always side on the paying/settlling of debts, even in this case.  But this is my choice.  I will give you an example.

I had a medical bill, which I paid at a lessened amount that was agreed upon, and with nothing in writing.  Down the line, I had a CA pop up on the unpaid amount.  I went through all the steps, calls, letters, disputes, etc.  But they just validated everything.  It had passed the SOL and eventually was removed once it passed the CRTP.  By this time it had turned to a ridiculous amount.  

Would I pay it?  NOPE!  Now if I went to a lender and they said I had to pay it, would I?  NOPE!  I'd take my business somewhere else.  I've had no problem with getting a loan in the excess of 150k and a job at over 75K.  

So like I said, there's extenuating circumstances and a YMMV type of situation for everything.

Thanks for the information, Shogun.  You seem confident and knowledgeable. 

A phone call to the CA (or original creditor) wouldn't restart the SOL, would it?  I was thinking of calling them to feel them out for a settlement, then if they seem willing, I'd follow up with a settlement offer letter.  Would this be a good idea?  What could I put in the letter to cover myself?  I've reviewed many templates and PFD-style letters, but haven't found anything similar to my situation...

Also, thanks for the insight on SOL.  I moved to a different state a couple years ago, but I checked and both states' SOLs are 4 years.

Message 17 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Bottom line is that the presence of an unpaid, delinquent debt says that, in the past, you did not meet your obligation to repay your obligated debt.

The credtior took a loss.

It's a relevant risk assesment factor.

Message 18 of 19
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

Bottom line is that the presence of an unpaid, delinquent debt says that, in the past, you did not meet your obligation to repay your obligated debt.

The credtior took a loss.

It's a relevant risk assesment factor.

I totally agree with RobertEG on this one, and that's why I said I almost always side on paying/settling.  But what about the 2 states where they literally can't accept payment after the SOL has expired.  That's why I say it's not always a cut and dry situation.  Also, there's a time factor involved.  Are you going to tell me that the actions taken at age 18 are going to be the same as when they are say, 35?  I know it isn't in my case.  

July 2013 score:

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.