Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settle for Less than Full Amount

tag
Longroad
Established Contributor

Settle for Less than Full Amount

4 years ago I settled with a credit card company for less than the full amount and it is showing up on my credit reports as such. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with approaching them and offering to pay the written-off portion for a deletion? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Settle for Less than Full Amount

GW letters are more receptive when baddies are paid in full, but have you tried  GW'ing them even though it's only settled?

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they accepted payment as satisfaction of the debt, regardless of the amount paid, the remaining debt is cancelled.

Thus, you are offering to pay a fee for credit report deletion.

How a party can legally accept a payment that is not owed to them is very questionable.

Additionally, the CRA policy is that a furnisher should not delete prior reporting based on payment of a debt.  Their obligation not to delete is thus based on their business agreement with the CRA, regardless of your offer to pay a fee for deletion.  I would suspect that jeopardizing thier credit reporting ability with the CRAs would be a serious consideration on their part.

However, the very fact that debt collectors will do PFDs shows that they sometines put greed above other business responsibiliies.....

It might be interesting to see their reply......

Message 3 of 6
Longroad
Established Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

GW letters are more receptive when baddies are paid in full, but have you tried  GW'ing them even though it's only settled?

Yes I have tried that........they haven't even acknowledged receipt of my letters. 

Message 4 of 6
Longroad
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

If they accepted payment as satisfaction of the debt, regardless of the amount paid, the remaining debt is cancelled.

Thus, you are offering to pay a fee for credit report deletion.

How a party can legally accept a payment that is not owed to them is very questionable.

Additionally, the CRA policy is that a furnisher should not delete prior reporting based on payment of a debt.  Their obligation not to delete is thus based on their business agreement with the CRA, regardless of your offer to pay a fee for deletion.  I would suspect that jeopardizing thier credit reporting ability with the CRAs would be a serious consideration on their part.

However, the very fact that debt collectors will do PFDs shows that they sometines put greed above other business responsibiliies.....

It might be interesting to see their reply......

That was my thought exactly, I was basing the idea on the PFD strategy used with CAs.

Message 5 of 6
Longroad
Established Contributor

Could you pay the charged off amount for the OC to change the status to something besides "settled for less than full amount"? Wouldn't that be scored more positively?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.