Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settle or Pay in Full?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Settle or Pay in Full?

I have a Charge Off from a Credit Card with Capital One for $136 on a $200 credit limit.

They are offering me to settle it for $99.58 or pay it in full for $136.78.

What do you recommend doing?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Settle or Pay in Full?

Pay in full if you're able to.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Charge Off from a Credit Card with Capital One for $136 on a $200 credit limit.

If you have the funds to pay, then PIF; if not, then pay the settlement amount so that you won't end up with a collection on  your report.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Pay in full if you're able to.

From my understanding it doesn't make a difference but, that's why I wanted to post to get other feedback. It's only a $36 difference. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have the funds to pay, then PIF; if not, then pay the settlement amount so that you won't end up with a collection on  your report.

Does it make a difference?

Message 5 of 8
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

How old is the charge off and will they take it off your credit report if you PIF?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Does it make a difference?

From my own personal experience, I have been able to get approvals with some good lenders with having settled a couple of collections, while PIF others.  That being said, I think that the advice of PIF stems more from the perception of how future lenders will view you if the accounts are settled or PIF.  I have been able to get back in with Amex, Cap 1, Barclays, and BoA even having burned a couple of them, but have not had success with Chase, Citi, or Discover (had secured card, but it never graduated).  In my case, I feel that the COs that I have had with certain lenders has been more of a factor with them as some companies have long memories when it comes to negative history with them.  Either way, whether you settle or PIF, it will allow your scores to start to recover, especially if the CA is updating this negative information monthly. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

duplicate posting.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.