Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settle with Citi and Barclays

tag
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Settle with Citi and Barclays

Question for folks who have been here before. In 2009 , I went from paying my cards off monthly to unemployment. I essentially put my family and mortgage over paying the credit cards for several months. In October 2009, I settled with Barclay's, City, and Chase for 60% of the balances and settled.

Fast forward, I am still rebuilding as I stayed away from credit and recently being working at it because credit is needed for many things and debit cards are not accented for rental cars and hotels. Will these creditors still hold this against me. They were not charge off and they received 60% of the money owed in a settled I negotiated.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Settle with Citi and Barclays

@Blackswizz750 wrote:
Question for folks who have been here before. In 2009 , I went from paying my cards off monthly to unemployment. I essentially put my family and mortgage over paying the credit cards for several months. In October 2009, I settled with Barclay's, City, and Chase for 60% of the balances and settled.

Fast forward, I am still rebuilding as I stayed away from credit and recently being working at it because credit is needed for many things and debit cards are not accented for rental cars and hotels. Will these creditors still hold this against me. They were not charge off and they received 60% of the money owed in a settled I negotiated.

Chase and Citi can have long memories. With Chase you can pretty much get back in after 7-10 years, I wouldnt app with the settlement still on your CR. With Citi its hit and miss they still hold a BK in 96 over me. Barclays is forgiving and you might even get a new account with them with the settlement still reporting. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay's is forgiving? I thought they weren't. I had a Juniper and a Orchard (not sure which went to Chase). I owed them from  2010. They never sold the debt, they kept it in house. I just settled with them 2 months ago, they still have not updated my status yet. Good to know. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've acquired three Citibank store card but I burned a Sears MasterCard Home Depot and shell MasterCard in 2013. If you have any use for Home Depot or shell or even ExxonMobil try those and see how it works out for you. I'm trying to make those my "IN" without paying for a secured card which I don't even know if they will approve me for, haven't tried yet.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I've acquired three Citibank store card but I burned a Sears MasterCard Home Depot and shell MasterCard in 2013. If you have any use for Home Depot or shell or even ExxonMobil try those and see how it works out for you. I'm trying to make those my "IN" without paying for a secured card which I don't even know if they will approve me for, haven't tried yet.

I want to buy some bedroom furniture. I can pay cash, but would much rather add a tradeline if possible. One place I looked uses Synchrony. I don't think my scores would support financing at this time. I am sub 600. However, I may be 620 ish in 45 days. Sorry to have hijacked this thread. 

Message 5 of 8
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Thanks for replying on this and Citi should be the last to hold a memory like that. The service my mortgage and I can't stand them. I may just never apply for anything with them. Chase has potential but I will wait it out until the settlement drops off.
Message 6 of 8
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

With Barclay's, they have more rank since 2008. I used them after they purchased Juniper. The credit limit they gave then was very generous. Good to know on Barclay's.
Message 7 of 8
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I will do what few other have done on the credit rebuild journey : pull reports and comb through; list all debts on a spreadsheet; and keep a few trade lines and pay every month. I may even have to stop applying for a while. A dealer last year did 8 inquiries on my credit. That has me limited with apps for a couple years.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.