Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settled Judgement Vs Paid in Full?

tag
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Settled Judgement Vs Paid in Full?

Hi there!

Does anyone if a settled judgement will show up on my CR as "settled"? Or will it show up as "Satisfied" or "Paid" regardless of the amount?

I contacted the law firm that put the judgement(s) against me... one was for $540 the other for $940. I asked her if I could settle... she said for the $540, she can do $400 and for the other she could do $650. 

She told me I would get a settelment letter as opposed to paid in full... but I was wondering, since they have to send a warrant of satisfaction to the courts anyway, would it be on public record that I settled? Or would it just be seen as satisfied and that's what the CRAs would pick up on and update?

I didn't want to risk it since I was only paying one today...so I paid $540 in full, the few extra bucks was worth the peace of mind... but the next big one I'm trying to decide which action I should take, since I want to pay that one off by next week... 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Settled Judgement Vs Paid in Full?

When the creditor/debt collector accepts payment, regardless of its amount, as satisfaction of the debt, the current status must be updated to paid.

However, they have the option to additionally post information related to the means of satisfaction, if less than the full amount.  It doesnt matter what adverse item has been reported along the way, such as a judgment or collection, the ultimate reporting is of satisfaction of the debt behind the reporting.

That additional special comment informing others that they accepted less than the full debt as its satisfaction is never a positive comment upon a manual review of a credit report.  I tells others that, in the past, you did not fully pay all debt you incurred.  So future creditors might infer that your history could result in a loss of their investment if they grant new credit.

From a credit report perspective, if that special comment is not reported, then your report will appear the same as if the debt had been satified by payment in full.

Thus, when negotiating a settlement, it is advisable to get their agreement not to report that additional special comment.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.