Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settled account reflecting new balance

tag
js0319
Established Contributor

Settled account reflecting new balance

This was only 10 days ago - but I settled on a BofA CC CO with a balance of $955 for $402. Earlier this week, I received a SW update saying that potentially negative information had been reported by BofA on the account. I was able to use a free CR site (Experian CR) to view the change on the account, and it looks like what happened is they updated the balance on the card to reflect what I had paid on it - so the new balance is reporting as $553. When I spoke with the collector, the agreement was to settle on the account fort $402 and I was told that the balance would update to $0, also reflecting that collections would cease on the account.

After pulling the CR, I called the number listed for BofA on the CR and spoke with a representative - apparently the card was through FIA Account Services. I asked her about the reporting, and she said that the information is correct as far as what's listed, and it usually takes up to 90 days to reflect a $0 balance on the card if you settled through a 3rd party. I expected the balance to reflect $0, and the CR to reflect "Paid - Settled for less than the amount owed" or something like that.

Should I believe anything I just heard? They were so quick to report a payment, thereby reporting a key derogatory by updating the balance - but they, for some reason, couldn't reflect the balance as $0 yet? Let me know if anyone has had any experience with anything like this.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
aerochick31093
Valued Member

Re: Settled account reflecting new balance

I settled an account with a CA and it updated the 1st time to show the difference between what I paid and  the original balance on the account. I believe it was about 30 days later that it updated to a zero balance and was marked paid in full. It just takes time sometimes for it to update to zero balance.

Message 2 of 4
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@js0319 wrote:

This was only 10 days ago - but I settled on a BofA CC CO with a balance of $955 for $402. Earlier this week, I received a SW update saying that potentially negative information had been reported by BofA on the account. I was able to use a free CR site (Experian CR) to view the change on the account, and it looks like what happened is they updated the balance on the card to reflect what I had paid on it - so the new balance is reporting as $553. When I spoke with the collector, the agreement was to settle on the account fort $402 and I was told that the balance would update to $0, also reflecting that collections would cease on the account.

After pulling the CR, I called the number listed for BofA on the CR and spoke with a representative - apparently the card was through FIA Account Services. I asked her about the reporting, and she said that the information is correct as far as what's listed, and it usually takes up to 90 days to reflect a $0 balance on the card if you settled through a 3rd party. I expected the balance to reflect $0, and the CR to reflect "Paid - Settled for less than the amount owed" or something like that.

Should I believe anything I just heard? They were so quick to report a payment, thereby reporting a key derogatory by updating the balance - but they, for some reason, couldn't reflect the balance as $0 yet? Let me know if anyone has had any experience with anything like this.

I think you answered your own question with your first statement. 'This was only 10 days ago'

I have jumped the gun, and made conclusions, way premature on accounts while going through this process. My personal rule of thumb has been, 60 days unless I REALLY needed something to reflect (like as I was going through the start of the mortgage process)

While I was doing the meat and potatoes of my credit repair, I allowed 2 months before I started getting antsy on updates like PFD, balances, settled ect..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 4
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

@js0319 wrote:

This happened to me too.  They were very quick to update the balance minus the amount that I paid for the settlement, but it was still showing a balance.  The next month when they updated it was updated to paid and with a 0 balance.  

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.