Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settled account vs. paid in full account

tag
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Settled account vs. paid in full account

Yes - it looks better on manual review and ups the chances you can get it removed via goodwill.  It also makes it less likely you'll be sued for it.  Previous poster is less than an accurate source of info.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks -I appreciate the feedback.... makes sense.  It doesnt sound like there is an actual difference to the score though.....  If I settle now and am able to pay it in full at a later stage do you know if that helps?  Do you know how long a settled account stays on your credit for? 

Message 12 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks -I appreciate the feedback.... makes sense.  It doesnt sound like there is an actual difference to the score though.....  If I settle now and am able to pay it in full at a later stage do you know if that helps?  Do you know how long a settled account stays on your credit for? 

Hi there.

Any notation of "settled" on your report is looked at for scoring purposes the same as a CO. But has already been said paying this in full will look better to a person looking at your report and seeing  you were willing to pay your debt.

CO's and collections can report for up to 7.5 years from the DoFD (Date of First Delinquency) on the OC account that led to the CO or collection unless you can get the creditor to remove it earlier.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.