Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settled on CHASE AU... now what!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Settled on CHASE AU... now what!!

I have a CHASE Revolving account on my TU CR that was Closed with a payment status "Payment after charge off / collection" and
a comment "Settled; less than full balance".

I was only an AU on this account but since my EX Girl-friend doesn't pay her bills...  I was forced to call and settle with them.

Now I'm stuck with this blemish on my report. But since I was only an AU, can't a dispute this with TU as not liable for the debt?

Has this worked for others?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Settled on CHASE AU... now what!!

Your first mistake was paying the debt when you had no obligation for the debt.  How were you forced to pay?

When you are an authorized user on an account, you are clearly identified as such under the ECOA code submiitted by the creditor. Being an authorized user does entitle you to obtain benefit of credit reporting of the account to your credit file, but clearly does not establish any legal obligation for debts under the account

In my opinion, the creditor necessarily knew this, so any action they took to collect the debt from you would be illegal.  When assigning the debt to a debt collector, they obviously provided your name as a responsible party for the debt, which again was improper.  Thus, any communication to you from a debt collector would be an improper action on the part of the debt collector, and a violation of FDCPA 605(b) as a communication with a third party relating to a debt they did not owe.

I would immediately send a direct dispute to the debt collector (I would not dispute through the CRA, or get them involved), providing your evidence of non-ownership of the debt, and dispute the accuracy of their reporting of a collection against you to your credit report.  It should be deleted in its entirety, regardless of the fact that you paid it.  It was not a legitmate collection.

You might also want to consult an attorney regarding their FDCPA violations.

And, yes, of course, get your authorized user status removed from that account.  Contact the other party and have them contact the OC.  Or contact the OC directly and request removal.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Settled on CHASE AU... Now what!!

Thanks for the info... I called Chase (1800-945-2006) and told the customer service representative that I was only an Authorized User on the account.  They tried searching for an account under my name (using my SSN#) and found none.

Afterwards the rep said that she "Filled out a form" to have the item removed from my report.  She took my name, address and the date the account as opened and told me that they would be notifying TU, EX, EU to remove any items on my CR.  I guess I will get some sort of confirmation from them in 10-12 business days to that affect.

At this point I'm a bit pessimistic it will actually come off, but I'll keep a close eye on it and report back.

Message 3 of 7
drkaje
Senior Contributor

^ Make sure they don't forget Innovis!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Split post to form a new thread within Rebuilding Your Credit

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU deleted it and should hit my report as soon as one more dispute is taken care of
Message 6 of 7
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
TU deleted it and should hit my report as soon as one more dispute is taken care of

Awesome news!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.