cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settled with CA a year ago, any options for deletion?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Settled with CA a year ago, any options for deletion?

My boyfriend settled two accounts with a CA in April 2008. The OC were Credit One Bank ($974)  and Best Buy ($781). Both accounts were settled with LVNV Funding for less than the amount due. I've been trying to search all day if there are any options to have these four accounts removed from his credit history. I've been reading about GW letters, but I don't know if that would apply in this situation, especially seeing as how he settled for less. Thanks for any help, or pointing me in the right direction.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
WanaDoBetter
Valued Member

Re: Settled with CA a year ago, any options for deletion?

You might try offering the balance do for a PFD. Money talks....
Message 2 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

NEPats716 wrote:

My boyfriend settled two accounts with a CA in April 2008. The OC were Credit One Bank ($974)  and Best Buy ($781). Both accounts were settled with LVNV Funding for less than the amount due. I've been trying to search all day if there are any options to have these four accounts removed from his credit history. I've been reading about GW letters, but I don't know if that would apply in this situation, especially seeing as how he settled for less. Thanks for any help, or pointing me in the right direction.

I've seen posts by others who had a settled CA delete with a GW letter, or two, or more. It only costs a few stamps at most.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump! 

I've been researching the same thing, actually (for a settlement with a CA for a Credit One account, incidentally). Several questions:

Do you think that a PFD of the additional balance will work AFTER a previous settlement with CA was done?  Anyone had good luck with this?  Does one submit a PFD request letter to the OC, since the CA is no longer reporting to the CRA (even though it was settled with a CA)?  Is fashioning the PFD request for a percentage of the remaining amount pushing one's luck?  If they deny the first request and a recon letter, do you push it or move on to GW letters?  Lastly, if all efforts are shot down, does this shoot one's self in the foot for a GW effort?

And a dumb question... would you fashion the PFD request for removal of all negative items or of the account entirely?  

Thank you.  This is my first post; this board and its members have been invaluable.  

Message Edited by TheCakeGirl on 01-16-2010 06:54 PM
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree with the prior suggestion that you can offer to pay the original debt in full as an incentive for the CA to delete

The CA reports only one thing.  The existence of a collection.  This is a separate "account" with the CRA.

The CA has no autthority to delete anything posted by the original creditor on their reported account with you.

All you can ask them to do is delete the CA posting.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha, that makes sense.  The CA is no longer reporting.  So, if I want to attempt to have the OC remove negative items, do I PFD the OC?  I guess my question is, since they sold it to a CA and settled with that CA, would the OC even CARE about collecting additional money in a PFD? 

Thanks, again. 

Edited for clarity.  Though it's possible I made it worse. Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by TheCakeGirl on 01-16-2010 07:19 PM
Message Edited by TheCakeGirl on 01-16-2010 07:20 PM
Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You are correct.  The OC wont care.

They sold the debt, and it has been settled.  There is nothing for them to accept payment for.

If you want to GW the OC, then, IMHO, your emphasis should be on making them want to take you back as a customer.

They dont grant GW out of sympathy for your prior woes.  They grant GW to get you back, and make money from you.

So dont emphasize your prior or current credit woes in a GW request.  Sure, an excuse or two for the prior delinquencies is necessary, but make it sound like that is all in the past, and that you are now as solid as a rock......

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.