cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settleed Collection now lost 26 Points...

tag
BetteDavis2013
Valued Member

Settleed Collection now lost 26 Points...

I have been dutily cleaning my credit and was on the uptick. Im paying down my debt and got a letter to settle a balance for a cellular carrier I had when I switched carriers. I paid the 80 bucks to have the account considered setteld and closed. I look up my credit report and see the lender made comments the debt was settled for less then owed. Now my score has plummeted by 26 points. What now? Should I call back and pay the full amount and update or does it even matter. My orignal offer stated if the amount was paid, the account would be considered closed. Should I dispute with the credit bureaus?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Settleed Collection now lost 26 Points...

@BetteDavis2013 wrote:

I have been dutily cleaning my credit and was on the uptick. Im paying down my debt and got a letter to settle a balance for a cellular carrier I had when I switched carriers. I paid the 80 bucks to have the account considered setteld and closed. I look up my credit report and see the lender made comments the debt was settled for less then owed. Now my score has plummeted by 26 points. What now? Should I call back and pay the full amount and update or does it even matter. My orignal offer stated if the amount was paid, the account would be considered closed. Should I dispute with the credit bureaus?

It's my understanding that it's the entry - not the status - that affects your credit score. Settled vs Paid in Full on a collections account shouldn't affect your credit score. Also, they have marked it as closed, just not PIF.

Was the collection already reported, or did they not report it until after the settlement? 

Message 2 of 5
BetteDavis2013
Valued Member

Its marked as "settlement". The letter states if I pay the amount requested, it would be marked closed. I plan on disputing via snail mail. I tried to dispute online but they want my paperwork and documentation so I have to send in the mail.

Message 3 of 5
BetteDavis2013
Valued Member

The collection was already reporting. I just paid them to have the issue closed out.

Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The reason your score dropped is not due to it being  settle for less than full balance, its because they reported the account paid and the status date came current this makes it look brand new in the eyes of Fico. If you have an agreement that it would just be marked closed and not settled then I suggest you file a BBB complaint against the collector but if you didnt have an agreement to actually remove the account then I would not do so and instead begin a campaign of GW letters to the CEOs office asking that the TL be removed. Fighting them over semantics, including disputing the way its reporting may cancel any goodwill they may be willing to offer.

If you do have a PFD agreement you would not dispute that with the CRAs but remind them of their agreement and if they dont correct it then you would file a complaint with the BBB for shoddy business practice. The CRAs have agreements with the collectors that they wont remove their reporting once its paid, you would not want to use such a letter against them with a CRA as it makes it harder for the next person to get anything accomplished.  Good luck Smiley Happy

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.