Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settlement Counter Offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Settlement Counter Offer

Hello All!

I received a letter in April from Howard Schiff, PC (an atty) on behalf of Midland Funding regarding a Chase debt in the amount of $2172.88 that has been turned over to them.  I DV'd them immidiately and never heard back from them, of course.  In May I received a summons for small claims court regarding this debt.  I answered the summons and then today I received a settlement offer from the atty for 60% of the debt to be paid by 7/23 or 70% to be paid in 3 installments.  I would like to counter this offer, but where should I start?  The debt is very close to aging off as the SOL is due to expire 8/2011 so I realize that they are eager to get this in beforehand.  the account was originally opened in 2000 and first went delinquent in 2005.

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Settlement Counter Offer

I'd counter offer with the same amount but removal from reports and considered paid in full. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Settlement Counter Offer

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All!

I received a letter in April from Howard Schiff, PC (an atty) on behalf of Midland Funding regarding a Chase debt in the amount of $2172.88 that has been turned over to them.  I DV'd them immidiately and never heard back from them, of course.  In May I received a summons for small claims court regarding this debt.  I answered the summons and then today I received a settlement offer from the atty for 60% of the debt to be paid by 7/23 or 70% to be paid in 3 installments.  I would like to counter this offer, but where should I start?  The debt is very close to aging off as the SOL is due to expire 8/2011 so I realize that they are eager to get this in beforehand.  the account was originally opened in 2000 and first went delinquent in 2005.

Thanks for your help!

Talk to Midland!  howard shchiff works on their behalf but they do not report and are not responsible for the report they only collect.  They are like a sublet.  You can pay them but you can't make an agreement with them.  Midland might have wiped thier hands with this but i would atleast check that avenue first.

The good news is though if you can't pfd with Midland which i doubt, they are very receptive to GW letters!!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.