Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settlement Question - Portfolio Recovery Associates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Settlement Question - Portfolio Recovery Associates

MY NAME MA 11111  Re: Account/Reference Number: XXXXXX  Seller: CAPITAL ONE BANK (USA), N.A. Original Creditor: CAPITAL ONE BANK (USA), N.A. Creditor To Whom Debt is Owed: Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Dear ME: This letter is to confirm that your account, which Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC (“PRA, LLC”) previously purchased from CAPITAL ONE BANK (USA), N.A., has been settled in Full. The balance due to settle this account is $0.00. If our company is reporting this account to the credit reporting agencies, this account will now be reported as settled in Full to each of the three major credit reporting agencies. Please retain this letter for your records. If you have any questions, or need any further information, please call us at (800) 772-1413. Our hours of operation are 8AM - 11PM Monday - Friday, 8AM - 8PM Saturday, and 11AM - 11PM Sunday (Eastern). Thank you for resolving this account. Sincerely, Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Representative Her Name Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Representative www.portfoliorecovery.com This communication is from a debt collector. NOTICE: SEE ADDITIONAL PAGE(S) FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION..

If you pay less. It will say settled in full, but for lessor amount...On your credit reports....

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you mean by "If you pay less. It will say settled in full, but for lessor amount..."?

My letter says it will say settled in full, if I pay any of the 3 options.

Also, is settled in full different than Paid in Full?

Message 12 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As long as the agreement is that payment will discharge the debt, it is paid regadless of whether it is in full or settled for less.

The account status will be paid, and the debt balance with the OC and the collection balance with any debt collector becomes $0.

Howver, if the creditor accepts less than the full amount of the debt, they have the option of additionally reporting the special comment of paid/settled for less, which informs others that you did not pay the entire debt that you obligated.  The CRAs choose to permit the addition of that information as adviement to others that you have, in the past, not paid an entire debt that you obligated.  That is never a favorable comment when a potential creditor is evaluating an application for credit.

If the owner accepts less than the full amount of the debt, you can also, as part of a settlment agreement, obtain their agreement not to report the addtional information that it was paid/settled for less.  Absent that special comment, your credit report will then appear the same as if the debt had been paid in full.

Your credit report will not contain any false statements of paid in full.  It will simply say paid, $0 balance, with no reference to payment terms.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Great! So if the cap1 is due to fall off Jan of 2017, it would probably be in my best interest to not make any payments to Portfolio b/c its going to fall off anyway AND it would actually damper my CS b/c a payment would re-age the account. If anyone else knows any other instancess that could re-age the acct I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Misty

Payment does NOT re-age the account. It merely UPDATES the account. If it has not updated for more than a couple of years that could POTENTIALLY cause a temporary score drop.

Portfolio is one that is notorious for doing frequent updating of accounts, sometimes monthly.

NOTHING "re-ages" an occount.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.