Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Valued Member

Settlement in Full

I called up a CA  and asked them about an account showing on my report.  (I didnt own up to the debt) but agreed to delete if I paid in full or report paid as agreed if I paid half.  I told them to put this in writing and here is what they me via email:

ABC Company., as acting agent for ABC INC has agreed to accept $433.89 as settlement in full on the above referenced account.

This offer is only guaranteed if we receive your payment of $433.89 in our office on on or before 3/13/13.  If we do not receive the payment listed above by the due date, we reserve the right to modify the offer or revoke it in its entirety.

For your convenience, if you would like to make your payment online, visit our website at www.xxxxx

Then it goes on with the signature and address.. Should I accept this agreement?  Does this promise that they will update to paid as agreed?  How can I rebuttal if not?

Obstacles are things you see when you take your eyes off your goals
Epic Contributor

Re: Settlement in Full

What would worry me is any time you settle,  the debt is considered paid.  It is how they report.  Even though they would all be looked at the same by FICO, on a manual review settled in full or paid in full looks better than settled for less.

I would get an email confirmation that your CR will be update to reflect paid in full or settled for full amount.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I would not accept that offer.  No where is it mentioned that you are paying for deletion.

Starting Score: TU 749 02/02/2014
Current Score: TU 749 02/02/2014
Goal Score: 850

Epic Contributor

[ Edited ]

acleynes wrote:

I would not accept that offer.  No where is it mentioned that you are paying for deletion.

The agreement was PIF for deletion, half for updating CR as paid in full or settled in full.  OP is settling.

Valued Member

I see ..

What is the relationship between Settled in Full vs Paid in Full vs Delete?  How is one different than the other?  I know that Delete, is the best one, but would having a settled in Full or Paid in Full still show up as a negative?

Obstacles are things you see when you take your eyes off your goals
Epic Contributor

Yes, settled and/or paid in full will not be any better for your score.  FICO scores a collection the same in either circumstance.  Getting it deleted is the best thing.

Settled in full doesn't really make sense to me as it implies full payment but I see it all the time.  Paid in full is just that, you paid in full.  Neither help your score.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.