Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settlement offer by CA, what to do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Settlement offer by CA, what to do?

My Dad had a collection on his account for Verizon from years ago and a third party CA has offered a 40% off offer. They said if he pays it they will notify the credit bureaus that the debt is "Paid in Full." Isn't that sometimes a bad thing because it updates the credit report another 7 years? I think that's what I read. Should I or he call them and ask if they would do a PFD? Thanks. I'm trying to help my Dad clean up his credit and don't want to jump the gun and end up making it worse. The original collection was $156.20 and they are offering to settle for $93.72.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Settlement offer by CA, what to do?

@Anonymous wrote:

My Dad had a collection on his account for Verizon from years ago and a third party CA has offered a 40% off offer. They said if he pays it they will notify the credit bureaus that the debt is "Paid in Full." Isn't that sometimes a bad thing because it updates the credit report another 7 years? I think that's what I read. Should I or he call them and ask if they would do a PFD? Thanks. I'm trying to help my Dad clean up his credit and don't want to jump the gun and end up making it worse. The original collection was $156.20 and they are offering to settle for $93.72.

The best option is to definately try and negotiate a PFD.    But even if you pay them ( or don't ) it won't change the credit reporting time period ( CRTP ), which is 7.5 years from the date of first deliquency ( dofd ) of the original creditor account.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Settlement offer by CA, what to do?

+1

As a side note, if he pays, regardless of the amount, and they accept it as satisfaction of the debt, they must report "Paid."

Settling for less permits them to place an additionaly special comment in his credit file recording "paid for less."

I would make sure that, by saying "paid in full," they mean that they agree not to report a "paid for less" special comment.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.