Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settlement offer from Northland Group (Cap One) not on CR

tag
n2win
Regular Contributor

Settlement offer from Northland Group (Cap One) not on CR

I have never seen this on any of my credit reports (beginning May 2008)

I think it's from 2000, sure it's out of SOL

I've never responded to anything from them oops lol 

Can I ignore this?

Northland Account # XXX

Current Balance Due:   $2025.48   (CapOne CC with $200 CL lol)

Settlement Offer:  $810.19 (19 cents? haha)

Client:  North Star Capital Acquisition, Llc

Store Name:  Capital One

Original Account #:  XXXX

June 3, 2009

Dear XX

blabla allow you to settle....3 payments starting 06/24/09....payments can be no more than 30 days apart...we will consider this account satisfied and closed, and a settlement letter will be sent.  more blabla

This collection agency is licensed by the Minnesota Department of Cmmerce.

at the bottom....three little perforated coupons

Client Code:  ZENI  (this must be the infamous ZENITH?)

Haven't heard from them in years...they used to send me CC apps that I read would restart SOL, never bit thank goodness.

Was kind of a surprise to hear from them after all these years.  Wonder if it had anything to do with my new Chase CC (end of May) with a $6k CL?  hmmm

Anyway, should I bother with a DV for this or just ignore it? I was planning to ignore it, but I'm second guessing myself now and wondering what the best action (or inaction ha) would be?

TIA

Smiley Very Happy

Goal: acquire and use Credit Cards, scores in the 700's in 2009
05/04/08 FICOS: EQ = 626; TU = 636: EX = 623
06/21/09 FICOS: EQ = 692; TU = 729; EX = 731 (CCT FAKO)
10/03/11 FICO EQ = 722 (CCT EQ = 749)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

Re: Settlement offer from Northland Group (Cap One) not on CR

Well if it's past SOL you can ignore it but be certain about it, has the CRTP also expired?
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If Cap1 is not reporting anymore (past CRTP )  I would ignore it. Keep a close watch on you CRs.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 06-21-2009 04:40 PM
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As for credit reporting, you must know the DOFD on the OC account that led up to their collection activity.

If the DOFD on the OC account is more than 7 1/2 years ago  (which it apparently is), it can no longer legally appear in your CR    FCRA 605(c).

The entire purpose of FCRA 605(c) is to prevent this illegal reporting of old accounts in an atttempt to collect debt beyond 7 1/2 years from your first defalt on the debt.

If you have never made payments or offers to pay beyond your state SOL, they clearly cannot collect the debt.

I wouild not simply ignore them.  I would send them a cease and desist letter under FDCPA 805(c) demanding that they not communicate with you fiurther regarding this alleged debt or their collection thereof.

Then just ignore them!

Message 4 of 5
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

FWIW--I also just received a CapOne settlement offer from Northland Group.  I had not heard one peep from CapOne since the card was charged off in 2004 (they continued to add the balance every month, but they have never contacted me).  I am not sure on my DOLP, so I don't know how to respond.  From what I can deduce from EQ, the DOLP was Feb 2003 (which would put me past SOL), but TU and EX make it look like Nov. 2003. 

I did not get the offer for 3 payments, however-I just got a lump sum offer at a significant discount from the current balance (but still more than the ORIGINAL balance).

Northland Group must be busy with CapOne accts lately.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.