Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settlement offers

tag
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

Settlement offers

I'm trying to start settling the accounts I can afford to, and I'm curious as to whether or not the initial settlement offer I receive in the mail is considered written proof of the agreement. If there's any negotiation on the price, should I insist on a new proposal in writing? Is an e-mail sufficient?

I'm sure the language they use can be misleading. I'm hoping for PFDs but not really expecting much based on the response I've gotten so far. More than anything else, I want assurance the remainder of the balance won't be pursued later or sold off to another CA.  Are terms like "satisfied and closed" reasonable to accept?

I'm trying to resolve what I can, but I'd like to avoid getting screwed over.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.  

EX 695, EQ 703, TU 681 (1/17)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

yRe: Settlement offers

A better choice of words might be "legally paid in full."

Terms such as "satisfied" might be interpreted as just the original amount of the debt, and not further fees and interest.

Message 2 of 3
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

Re: yRe: Settlement offers

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'm in the middle of negotiations with one CA, and all of the contact has been via e-mail so far with the exception of the initial settlement offer. We went back and forth on the amount of the settlement and arrived at a number I'm comfortable with, but I asked for some clarification on the terms and to get the new agreement in writing before I would make a payment.

Keeping my fingers crossed I'll get one account off my back.

EX 695, EQ 703, TU 681 (1/17)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.