Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settlement payment method

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Settlement payment method

i have settled with a CA and wanted advice on best form of payment to make to them.  Would it be ok to pay them over the phone via an account that I don't use often and will close afterwards?  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Settlement payment method

I paid a CA last month and did it over the phone with no issues.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid a settlement two weeks ago with one of my normal credit cards over the phone. No problems, no extra or additional charges.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card if you have one. It makes it almost impossible if they were to become dishonest. Meaning, you can dispute the charge.

Giving them bank information can be more difficult to recover if they were dishonest.

Meaning, taking more than what you both agreed to.
Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

While you willl often see pronoucements that you should never pay a debt collector using a credit card, as stated earlier, use of a credit card then opens up the ability to file a formal dispute under the Fair Credit Billing Act for any later billing related issues. The FCBA dispute process is much more comprehensive than the lame FCRA disute process, and is a big deterrent to billing abuse.

A potential issue is identity theft.  Some low tier debt collectors have a history of employing questionable characters.

it at all concerned, use certified funds such as a money order that includes no account specific information.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

And if you don't have certified funds available, use your credit card. Make sure you have measures in place to help deter identity theft. Freezing your reports and other credit monitoring methods.

Retail stores, restaurants and every other business in this world that accepts credit cards also hire "questionable characters"...They too can commit identity theft...

Message 6 of 8
elim
Senior Contributor

If you're rebuilding, you may not have a CC with the limit you need.  Will a prepaid Visa work?

Message 7 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I don't see why it wouldn't

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.