Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settlements are bad

tag
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

Settlements are bad

I read on the internet today that a settlement is just as bad as having an account open and unpaid. How can this be true?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Settlements are bad

@cjane1 wrote:
I read on the internet today that a settlement is just as bad as having an account open and unpaid. How can this be true?

A paid settled account is better than an account being open and unpaid.  A settlement stops any potential lawsuits the creditor may file.  Also, it reduces your overall credit balance among all accounts.  

Message 2 of 4
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

I think thats incorrect. An unpaid and open account is better than a settled account. A settled a/c is just as bad as a CO. Also, one could work with an unaid open account to make it a paid/closed accout which is much better than a settled/co/sold etc...
Message 3 of 4
DI
Super Contributor

@nothingman02 wrote:
I think thats incorrect. An unpaid and open account is better than a settled account. A settled a/c is just as bad as a CO. Also, one could work with an unaid open account to make it a paid/closed accout which is much better than a settled/co/sold etc...

It all depends!! I settled an account.  But smart me got the tradelines deleted  with the CA and OC too.   Smart me also won't be receiving a 1099.   It was a repo for a car loan I consigned for.

Message Edited by DI on 12-30-2009 08:28 AM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.