Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settling Debt by Electronic Check....I need advice ASAP

tag
Hersheykiss
Valued Member

Settling Debt by Electronic Check....I need advice ASAP

The CA would like me to settle this debt by check by phone today.  Is this safe to do?  They emailed me a letter stating that they are settling for the agreed upon amount, but I am a little nervous about this.  Is this safe to do with a collection agency/attorney or should I insist on sending them a cashier's check?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Settling Debt by Electronic Check....I need advice ASAP

I would not use my check to pay a CA.  Send them a money order or cashiers check.

You do not want them to have your banking information.

Message 2 of 4
Hersheykiss
Valued Member

@guiness56 wrote:

I would not use my check to pay a CA.  Send them a money order or cashiers check.

You do not want them to have your banking information.

I was unsure after reading older posts about this.  This is for a judgment that has a lien on our home.  Would you trust them then or stick with refusing to pay by phone?  I have no problem with your suggestion.  I'm just nervous that they will refuse the deal.  It supposedly is only good through today.  I have no problem with sending them a copy of the cashier's check...maybe I should offer them that option?   

Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Do they know you have a bank account?

I can understand wanting it taken care of ASAP.   Just to be safe ask them if they are willing to accept a money order or cashiers check instead of check by phone.  I don't like doing those even when it isn't a CA taking the information.

Are they any where nearby?

If they say no and will only accept a check by phone then you may have to do it to get that lien released. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.