Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settling Judgment - Not Hearing Back From Opposing Counsel

tag
garagebandking
Regular Contributor

Settling Judgment - Not Hearing Back From Opposing Counsel

So, I am very close to purchasing a home when an old judgment popped up during title search. It is from 2009.

I've retained an attorney to facilitate settling this judgment for less than owed, he has reached out to the opposing counsel twice in the past 2 weeks, and we are not hearing anything back. Myself, my attorney, and opposing counsel are all in NJ. I'm due to close on this house 8/16/16, so time is starting to get precious.

Has anyone used a lawyer to settle a jdugment before, if so, how long did it typically take?

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Settling Judgment - Not Hearing Back From Opposing Counsel

@garagebandking wrote:

So, I am very close to purchasing a home when an old judgment popped up during title search. It is from 2009.

I retained an attorney to facilitate settling this judgment, he has reached out to the opposing counsel twice in the past 2 weeks, and we are not hearing anything back. Myself, my attorney, and opposing counsel are all in NJ. I'm due to close on this house 8/16/16, so time is starting to get precious.

Has anyone used a lawyer to settle a jdugment before, if so, how long did it typically take?

Thanks!!

In most jurisdictions you can pay the court directly if you cannot get a response from the judgment holder.

Message 2 of 4
garagebandking
Regular Contributor

Thanks, Norman, I may end up having to do that, but I wasn't clear enough in my initial post. I am attempting to settle this for less than what is owed. So we shall see. But, if I must, I'll go down to the courthouse and see if they'll accept payment in full to satisfy it at the 11th hour.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not be surprised if the counsel you are trying to contact isn't actually the judgment creditor's attorney any longer.

You can contact the judgment creditor directly, and try to open negotiations there. 

Just because Company A was represented by Attorney X in 2009 doesn't mean they still have any relationship.

Assuming the judgment contained some amount for attorney's fees, you might want to point that out as well - if he was named on the judgment then those fees are his, if and when they get paid.

If the judgment is that old, the judgment creditor may have long since written off being able to collect, so they might be interested in negotiation at this point - if and when they find out you're open to settling.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.