Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settling a judgment

tag
sharriel
Frequent Contributor

Settling a judgment

Hi all!

I have a judgment against me for $1738 for an old Amex card .  Amex has told me that I need to pay a law firm who is handling it.  I called them to make payment arrangements and they are telling me that it is now up to $2200 but that Amex will settle for $1100.  SO I am willing to give them $200 a month up to $1100 to make this marked as "satisfied".

I am trying to buy a house in 1 year so I am hoping this will raise my Fico.  Any input on how paying this will affect me?  Thanks!

5/16/13 Starting FICOEQ: 521 FICOTU: 536 FICOEX: 571
5/13/14 Current FICOEQ: 668 FICOTU: 690 FICOEX: 673
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Settling a judgment

@sharriel wrote:

Hi all!

I have a judgment against me for $1738 for an old Amex card .  Amex has told me that I need to pay a law firm who is handling it.  I called them to make payment arrangements and they are telling me that it is now up to $2200 but that Amex will settle for $1100.  SO I am willing to give them $200 a month up to $1100 to make this marked as "satisfied".

I am trying to buy a house in 1 year so I am hoping this will raise my Fico.  Any input on how paying this will affect me?  Thanks!

Hi sharriel,

Is amex saying they will settle in full or settle for less? If they mark it satisfied you would need to have the judgement removed to see a score bump.

Message 2 of 8
PrettyPeacock
Contributor

From everything I have read you want to get it in writing before you pay that they will get the judgement withdrawn from your credit report.  Otherwise it will still be on there for up to 7 years.  Good luck

4/13 CS from TU 599 11/3/13 Current FICO TU: 672, EQ 680
Negs: BK charged-off Jan '09, KS tax lien PAID, but still trying to figure out how to get it removed and 10 IIB accounts
Happiness: Merrick $750  |  Cap One $300  |  USBank $300  |  Victoria's Secret $500  |  The Buckle $250  |  JCrew $250  |  Express $250  |  Cap One $2000(AU)  |  Fingerhut $850 | Kohls (AU) $3000
Goals are 760 to buy a home & to stay in the Garden til 2/14
Message 3 of 8
sharriel
Frequent Contributor

They are only saying that it will show as Satisfied.  Not settled or PIF, just satisfied.

They will not have it deleted so I think I will pay it and than do a motion to vacate.

I know it will be there for 7 years but it has already been 4 and if I want to buy a house in a year, I would rather have a paid judgment than non paid, right?

Message 4 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@sharriel wrote:

They are only saying that it will show as Satisfied.  Not settled or PIF, just satisfied.

They will not have it deleted so I think I will pay it and than do a motion to vacate.

I know it will be there for 7 years but it has already been 4 and if I want to buy a house in a year, I would rather have a paid judgment than non paid, right?

See if you state allows for judgements to be vacated. It will look better under a manual review to the LO/underwriter of the mortgage lender.

Message 5 of 8
sharriel
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, yes, I believe that NC allows motion to vacate.

Message 6 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

You can see a nice bump is they remove it!! Keep us posted!!!

Message 7 of 8
PrettyPeacock
Contributor

@sharriel wrote:

Yes, even if you get it paid and it isn't vacated you should still see some sort of increase.  I did.  But I also know that when I applied for a Discover card I was told the reason I didn't get it is because I have the judgement and that if I could get rid of it they would approve me.  So, I don't know how a mortgage broker will look at it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

4/13 CS from TU 599 11/3/13 Current FICO TU: 672, EQ 680
Negs: BK charged-off Jan '09, KS tax lien PAID, but still trying to figure out how to get it removed and 10 IIB accounts
Happiness: Merrick $750  |  Cap One $300  |  USBank $300  |  Victoria's Secret $500  |  The Buckle $250  |  JCrew $250  |  Express $250  |  Cap One $2000(AU)  |  Fingerhut $850 | Kohls (AU) $3000
Goals are 760 to buy a home & to stay in the Garden til 2/14
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.