cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settling accounts that are within SOL...

tag
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

Settling accounts that are within SOL...

What is the trick to do that?

How to settle an account for less with PFD?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Settling accounts that are within SOL...

I've settled accounts inside SOL. It happens all the time. I do see a lot of posts saying that creditors would be more likely to settle outside SOL, but, IME, it was an equal shot inside or outside.

Indicate in your PFD the settlement amount. If you want to settle, offer an amount that you'd think they would accept.

IMO, I prefer to offer 100%. I personally wouldn't mind paying an extra few hundred or less. If I offered at 100% then I am 100% for sure that any denial had zero to do with the settlement amount. Then on future PFDs, I can always offer a few less here or there to save if I wanted to. On the flip side, if you offer in your PFDs 50%, for example, and they say no, then you have to back track and increase the amount with each new PFD offer. Instead of the heat being on them, it goes on you and you have less control. Now that's not to say if I saved thousands I might consider a settlement.

Message 2 of 3
luvsandyshores
Regular Contributor

Re: Settling accounts that are within SOL...

Agree with Ilecs.  Plus, if it's getting close to the SOL, you might have more room to negotiate than if it's only a year or two old.

CH13 confirmed 1/2016
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.