Established Member
kornut11

Settling versus PIF versus PFD

I have one old CC that is a charge off.  I am wondering what the difference in impact on my credit score it would be between the three options I have:

Trying to settle the account (i realize this will be reported as such, but is it better than having a charge off with a balance?)

Paying in Full

Pay for Delete (I've sent PFD letters but gotten no response).

I realize that PFD would be best, but if that option disappears, what would the impact on my credit scores be for the other two options?

thanks for any help offered.

Valued Contributor
demed

Re: Settling versus PIF versus PFD

a paid collection scores EXACTLY THE SAME as an open collection

the option to PFD is always there - it's just up to the CA to decide to accept. the closer it gets to SOL or CRTP terms the easier it gets.

Feb 08 550s - Oct 08 700s
Thank you MyFico!
Frequent Contributor
shalane85

I was dealing with a collection company that was willing to settle bu they said that it was against the law for them to delete the info from my credit file. I didnt believe what they were saying since every collection I've ever had in the past would delete from my report without me having to ask. So what I did was contact the OC and told them that if I pay off the account would they delete the file. They assured me they would and sent it in writing. So that may not work with every OC but its worth a try.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: 628
Goal Score: 680

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Starting Score: EQ FICO 470 TU FICO 482 7/15/2011
Current Score: EX ?? /EQ FICO 628 / TU ??
Goal Score: 680 across the board!

Navy Federal nRewards $500 cl
Capitol One Platinum (AU) $7500 cl
USAA Amex $250
Kay Jewelers $900
Established Member
kornut11

I am actually dealing with the OC.  That is why I am unsure if settling with the OC is the same as settling with a CA in regards to the impact on my scores.  I am also trying to figure what the impact would be with PIF with this OC.

How did you contact your OC?  I've sent a PFD letter to this OC, but not gotten a response.  I have also tried faxing them a PFD letter, and I have still had no response.  I am wondering if I should call them or not and present a verbal PFD and have them fax me a letter confirming a PFD.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+