Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settling with PRA Question about Updating

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Settling with PRA Question about Updating

I have THREE collections accounts with Portfolio Recovery. I know they won't PFD, and I know paying them off won't help my score, but will it stop the constant updating? I keep getting an alert that an account was "flagged as collections" and it drops my score every single time. They seriously did this TWICE with one of my accounts in the last 30 days. 1/21 and again 2/8 on the SAME account they "flagged as collections" and dinged my score twice. Two of these accounts are from 2014 and one from 2017. DOFD with OC are in 2012/2013 though.

Will this stop if I just settle with them for the love of god Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Settling with PRA Question about Updating

It is an acceptable and common practice to report updates showing a current status of continued delinquency until the debt is paid or settled.

Once the debt is discharged, any further reporting will provide an updated status of paid or settled, which is a non-delinquency status, and thus will not effectively be viewed as an extension of continued delinquency on the debt.  

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not the normal monthly updating that they do anyway. When they update it this way, I get an alert like it is a new account/new derorgatory reported. When I log in to my credit monitoring site, it shows under my alerts it shows that this account has been "flagged as collections", so it makes it look new I guess? Because the normal monthly update doesn't hurt my score but every time they do THIS it dings my score. 

Message 3 of 4
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

That's what they do to make you pay them.
The bleed your reports until you cave.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.